APIs & Integrations

BillyBunter
Contributor

WordPress plugin error: Requests to the server have been blocked by an extension.

I've installed the WordPress plugin and it appears on the menu. However, clicking on it shows an error "Requests to the server have been blocked by an extension." There are no extensions that are filtering URLs on my browser. What could cause this error?

0 Upvotes
6 Replies 6
acurtwright
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

WordPress plugin error: Requests to the server have been blocked by an extension.

It's difficult to determine the potential cause here without viewing the browser extensions you currently have installed. Can you reproduce the same issue in an incognito window? Ultimately, the best way to resolve this would be to begin turning off extensions in your browser until you're able to identify which one is causing the issue. 

Let me know if this works for you, or if you have any additional questions. 

0 Upvotes
BillyBunter
Contributor

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have the same issue in Chrome in incognito mode, in Firefox and Opera without any extensions, and also on Wordpress with all plugins turned off. 

I have tried looking at the logs and haven't found anything that could indicate what causes this. Any suggestions welcome.

0 Upvotes
acurtwright
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Just to make sure I'm on the same page, would you mind outlining the steps you're taking in reproducing this error? Are you simply clicking on the extension in your browser toolbar?

Also, would it be possible to try clicking on the extension on a different network or device to ensure this isn't a network-related issue?

0 Upvotes
BillyBunter
Contributor

I think there may be some confusion as to the exact issue.

The issue is with the HubSpot official plugin for WordPress, not the HubSpot browser extension.

When installed, the HubSpot WP plugin is unable to connect to HubSpot and gives this error.

Since the error is ambiguous, I first assumed that it was a server-side error and tested by disabling all other WordPress plugins.

Since the error used the term "extension", I disabled all my Chrome extensions and tested in both normal and incognito mode.

To remove browser dependency, I tested with all browsers I have - Chrome, Opera and Firefox.

I get the same error in all scenarios.

acurtwright
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Thanks for the detailed response and apologies for the miscommunication. I'm investigating additional potential causes here, and I will follow up with you as soon as I have additional recommendations. 

0 Upvotes
acurtwright
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Thanks for your patience here. I have some additional troubleshooting steps to take to help us narrow down the cause: 

1. Could you collect a HAR file and a console log of you attempting to install the plugin and then send it to me via private message? I understand you weren't seeing any useful errors in the network requests, but I would like to document the behavior and compare it to past reports of problematic behavior with the plugin. 

2. Make sure you are using the latest versions of the HubSpot Wordpress plugin, PHP, and Wordpress versions. 

3. The most likely cause of this error historically has been browser extensions, but if you've taken all of the steps to uninstall your extensions and can still reproduce the error after restarting your browser, it's worth uninstalling other Wordpress plugins you are using to see if one of these is potentially interfering with the installation process.