APIs & Integrations

drbitbrain

Webhooks response

SOLVE

Hi,

I am building the endpoint where the webhook subscriptions will be talking to but from the documentation it is not clear for me what response should I give.

In the docs https://developers.hubspot.com/docs/methods/webhooks/webhooks-overview it says:

We will retry in the following cases:

• Connection Failed - If we cannot open an http connection to the provided webhook URL
  • Timeout - If your service takes longer than 2 second to send back a response to a batch of notifications
  • Error codes - If your service responds with an HTTP status code that is not one of: 400, 401, 403, 404, 405

I understand that normally we would need to respond with a 204 (Success, No content) if everything went ok and any other code if something went wrong. I also understand that what the docs are saying is that if you return anything else that is not a 4XX or a 2XX code, it will retry again to send the notifications.

Am I right?

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
Derek_Gervais
Solution
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

Webhooks response

SOLVE

Hey @drbitbrain ,

Yes, you're exactly correct. You should respond with a 2XX status code for any successful requests. Other useful responses might be:

• 429 - If you respond with a 429, HubSpot will retry the request, respecting the `Retry-After` header.
  • 5XX - If you respond with any 5XX error, we'll retry according to our default retry logic outlined in the webhooks doc.
  • 400/401/403/404/405 - If you respond with any of these, HubSpot will not retry the webhook, so you should only respond with one of these codes if you do not want the notification.

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
3 Replies 3
Derek_Gervais
Solution
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

Webhooks response

SOLVE

Hey @drbitbrain ,

Yes, you're exactly correct. You should respond with a 2XX status code for any successful requests. Other useful responses might be:

• 429 - If you respond with a 429, HubSpot will retry the request, respecting the `Retry-After` header.
  • 5XX - If you respond with any 5XX error, we'll retry according to our default retry logic outlined in the webhooks doc.
  • 400/401/403/404/405 - If you respond with any of these, HubSpot will not retry the webhook, so you should only respond with one of these codes if you do not want the notification.
0 Upvotes
dan9

Webhooks response

SOLVE

This appears not to be the case anymore. I get retries on 400

0 Upvotes
jcaron

Webhooks response

SOLVE

Sadly this response is more accurate and more clear than the official documentation.

0 Upvotes