APIs & Integrations

Not applicable

Webhook timeout

SOLVE

How can i increase webhook timeout to more than 1 second or how can i prevent it from trying again after a timeout?

1 Accepted solution
Dadams
Solution
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Webhook timeout

SOLVE

Hi @Constantine_Bulichov

There isn’t a setting for the timeout, so there won’t be a way to increase that limit, and we’ll automatically retry in the case of a timeout (the only case we won’t retry is when we did get a response but with a status code of 400, 401, 403, 404, or 405).

Can you provide more details for why you might be running into that timeout? In general, if your process takes more than a second, we’d recommend accepting the data from the webhook request, and then placing that data into a queue that could be processed asynchronously from the webhooks.

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
15 Replies 15
clintonskakun
Participant

Webhook timeout

SOLVE

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking it was 2 seconds but I saw a lot of people talking about 1 second timeouts.

0 Upvotes
IsaacTakushi
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Webhook timeout

SOLVE

@dedupely, you are correct that the timeout is currently 2 seconds and is documented at the bottom of this page.

Isaac Takushi

Associate Certification Manager
0 Upvotes
fregini
Participant | Diamond Partner
Participant | Diamond Partner

Webhook timeout

SOLVE

This is quite old but I'm struggling to find the timeout for the webhooks that can be configured in workflows. 

https://legacydocs.hubspot.com/docs/methods/webhooks/webhooks-overview

This URL is about APP webhooks instead. 

So what's the timeout for webhooks calls from inside workflows? 

0 Upvotes
clintonskakun
Participant

Webhook timeout

SOLVE

Wait! There's a 1 second timeout? I thought it was 2 seconds.

1 second is pretty low. Honestly, I don't understand half the failures. Does backlog timeout mean that there are too many events and the concurrent limit is too low, or does it mean it hit our API but timed out?

There are way too many restrictions and too little documentation about this. Things need to be a bit looser.

0 Upvotes
Not applicable

Webhook timeout

SOLVE

I agree that 1 second timeouts are bad. Even when you offload all the processing to another thread you will still have a timeout if your function (google cloud functions / aws lambda) has a cold start.

0 Upvotes
Not applicable

Webhook timeout

SOLVE

Agreed. This timeout is extremely restrictive and limiting. Please revise.

0 Upvotes
Fnayou

Webhook timeout

SOLVE

This is a true issue when using serverless functions. Cold starts will always induce a timeout.

Are there any considerations for increasing the timeout threshold?

nickgoloborodko
Contributor

Webhook timeout

SOLVE

It is completly crazy to have a 1 second timeout. yes it is good practice not to do any heavy processing for the duration of request, and do it asyncronously through a queue instead. I am having issues where ocasionally my code would be unloaded from the servers memory if the applciation has not been accessed for a period of time. The laoding process on the first request takes over a second, So for the first request after a period of time I have multiple duplicate hubspot messages arriving (because server caches the requests while it loads the applciation)

Please increase the timeout value, or, even better - make it user configurable.

0 Upvotes
Lionel_Martin

Webhook timeout

SOLVE

Hi guys,
I’ve managed to fix this issue by making sure the processing of the webhook was queued and made asynchronously.
I have a highly available simple API endpoint for my integration that does nothing else but queueing the webhooks processing tasks.
From there, my main application is polling the queue and it can take any time to write the data into the database and won’t fail anything on Hubspot side.
Best,
__
Lionel
hi [at] getlionel [dot] com

0 Upvotes
VoloCommerce

Webhook timeout

SOLVE

1 second is poor. We receive WebHook on our script. We check other companies exist in our other CRM. Then we go back to HubSpot via the API to pull all contacts. Then we allow HubSpot to push the code over. One second is absolutely poor. INCREASE ASAP PLEASE!!!

0 Upvotes
Not applicable

Webhook timeout

SOLVE

Hello! We’re also having issue with small timeouts. Is there any estimation when this interval can be increased/configured?

0 Upvotes
Parag_Kadam

Webhook timeout

SOLVE

It’s true that 1 sec webhook timeout is too less to determine whether the request was a success or not. In my case I am triggering a AWS lambda function which sends a SMS on dealstage change event. But here instead of sending one SMS per one dealstage change it is sending multiple SMSs because the webhook fails to get response code 200 within it’s 1 sec timeout and retries again and again until it gets success code 200 hence sending the same SMS multiple times.
Either the timeout time should increase or it should be up to the developer to set max number of retries.
PS - I am doing a few API calls with my AWS lambda function which takes some time to complete.

0 Upvotes
chrispower
Contributor

Webhook timeout

SOLVE

I've just run into almost exactly the same problem.  2 years later and still no configureable timeout. 

Our solution is to implement an SQS queue and have the webhook put the payload in the queue, and trigger the lambda function from there. 

Although if your hubspot workflow has subsequent steps which require successful execution of the SMS step, this won't work.

0 Upvotes
Not applicable

Webhook timeout

SOLVE

When a contact is created in HubSpot i get a webhook request to a web API with the contact id, then i retrieve that contact from HubSpot API and then i create that record in CRM. Apparently this process takes more than 1 second.
Basically I need to create a record in CRM each time a Contact is created in HubSpot. I would be happy if there is a better solution. Thanks!

0 Upvotes
Dadams
Solution
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Webhook timeout

SOLVE

Hi @Constantine_Bulichov

There isn’t a setting for the timeout, so there won’t be a way to increase that limit, and we’ll automatically retry in the case of a timeout (the only case we won’t retry is when we did get a response but with a status code of 400, 401, 403, 404, or 405).

Can you provide more details for why you might be running into that timeout? In general, if your process takes more than a second, we’d recommend accepting the data from the webhook request, and then placing that data into a queue that could be processed asynchronously from the webhooks.

0 Upvotes