APIs & Integrations

YChen63

Very slow API response (property creation)

SOLVE

Hi all,

I am writing a Python script for automating the process of creating a lot of properties in Hubspot. My code looks something like (taken from the tutorial shown in https://developers.hubspot.com/docs/api/crm/properties

client = hubspot.Client.create(api_key=API_KEY)

for program in programs:

for month in range(1,13):

property_create = PropertyCreate(name=f'name_{program}_{month}', label=f'name_{program}_{month}', type='number', field_type='number', group_name=GROUP_NAME, display_order=2, has_unique_values=False, hidden=False, form_field=True)

try:
            api_response = client.crm.properties.core_api.create(object_type="Company", property_create=property_create)
        except ApiException as e:
            print("Exception when calling core_api->create: %s\n" % e)
        ... repetitive code for property create ...

when I checked the call log of my API key, the response time was very inconsistent. Sometimes it makes 3 calls within the same minute, sometimes it took up to 9-10 minutes just to make one call. Any idea why this might be happening and how I might be able to speed up the response time from the API call?

Please note that the above is a simplified version of my code (functionally the same, but I put some dummy names in the parameters).

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
KMurray
Solution
Participant

SOLVE

I have been in similar situations and typically HusSpot is not the issue based on the returns I am getting.  If this were me, I would have another app with a simple call that I could loop N number of times to have a sample for a psuedo stress test.  If all is well there I would move on to the next troubleshooting step.  Given HubSpot is rarely the issue when it comes to performance, I would consider debugging, stepping through the code while including the libraries (I use VSCode - change the json for justmycode)...outside of that...not a lot to go on here.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
KMurray
Solution
Participant

SOLVE

I have been in similar situations and typically HusSpot is not the issue based on the returns I am getting.  If this were me, I would have another app with a simple call that I could loop N number of times to have a sample for a psuedo stress test.  If all is well there I would move on to the next troubleshooting step.  Given HubSpot is rarely the issue when it comes to performance, I would consider debugging, stepping through the code while including the libraries (I use VSCode - change the json for justmycode)...outside of that...not a lot to go on here.

Jaycee_Lewis
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi, @YChen63 👋 Thanks for reaching out. Let's see if the community has any suggestions. Hey @JBeatty @KMurray @taran42 @MichaelC do you have any thoughts on how @YChen63 can optimize things?

Thank you! — Jaycee

linkedin

Jaycee Lewis

Developer Community Manager

Community | HubSpot

0 Upvotes