APIs & Integrations

wluczkanyn

Updating user properties using Segment calls not working

SOLVE

Hi guys,

I have a problem regarding updating user properties in Hubspot by sending track calls from Segment.com (formerly segment.io).

The problem occurs with JavaScript source (https://segment.com/docs/connections/sources/catalog/libraries/website/javascript/). 
Previously, when we were sending track calls in this form: 

analytics.track('Test Event', {
  email: 'johndoe@example.com',
  test_property: '1'
});

Both events were appearing on a contact timeline and properties were updated. From some time I noticed that when we send such a call, events still appear on a contact timeline, but properties are not updated. 
Of course I'm sending identifies before doing a track call and also I checked that identifies still update contact properties correctly. 

Question is: Do you maybe know why track calls do not update contact properties correctly? 

Best, 
Wojciech

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
WendyGoh
Solution
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hey @wluczkanyn,

Thank you for sharing the details and I believe I may be able to shed some lights here.

When looking to track an event using the Events JavaScript API, this API can only pass in two arguments: event ID and value. As such, this is likely why the property `marketplace_vote` wasn't updated.

If you'd like to update the `marketplace_vote` property, you would need to place the `marketplace_vote` property on the Identify a visitor API. i.e.

example.png

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
6 Replies 6
WendyGoh
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hey @wluczkanyn,

In order for me to further troubleshoot this, could you share with me the following:

1. Portal ID in question

2. Example contact in which the event appear but properties aren't updated

3. Properties that you'd like to update

0 Upvotes
wluczkanyn

SOLVE

Hi @WendyGoh

Thanks for your reply.

Portal ID is 2773967
My test account is https://app.hubspot.com/contacts/2773967/contact/18608001/
There was an event "Voted For Marketplace" performed on this contact multiple times with property "marketplaces_vote" which was not updated.

Best, 
Wojciech

0 Upvotes
WendyGoh
Solution
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hey @wluczkanyn,

Thank you for sharing the details and I believe I may be able to shed some lights here.

When looking to track an event using the Events JavaScript API, this API can only pass in two arguments: event ID and value. As such, this is likely why the property `marketplace_vote` wasn't updated.

If you'd like to update the `marketplace_vote` property, you would need to place the `marketplace_vote` property on the Identify a visitor API. i.e.

example.png

0 Upvotes
wluczkanyn

SOLVE

Hey @WendyGoh,

Thanks, that's what I thought unfortunately. 

Do you maybe have idea why it worked for us a few monts ago? 

0 Upvotes
WendyGoh
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hey @wluczkanyn,

That's interesting. From what I have recall, the Events JavaScript API has only ever accept both and id and value. I wouldn't have except that it would be possible to pass a custom property. In this case, do you have an example contact in which the property was updated via the Events JavaScript API

0 Upvotes
wluczkanyn

SOLVE

Hi,

I've looked for an example, but I didn't find any from some time, so I think you may have right or I'm just blind.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your help, if I had any further issues with this I'll follow up 🙂

0 Upvotes