APIs & Integrations

Anonymous
Not applicable

Update contact property on form submit

SOLVE

Hi guys,

I have a custom property group called "Salesforce Information". Within this group I've created a custom property called "web_activity_most_recent__c" and set it to hidden on a form.

Scenario: Everytime a form is submitted, we need this property to be updated with a value dependent on the page the form is submitted from. We currently have over 120 pages with corrsponsponding web_activity_most_recent__c values.

eg. if the visitor submits a form from huddle.com/get-started/ then the value forweb_activity_most_recent__c  should be "Downloaded_ebook_collaboration_client-experience", and a different value if the form is submited from another page, etc.

I can't get it to work...

Any assistance will be much appreciated!

Herewith my edited form embed code:

<!--[if lte IE 8]>
<script charset="utf-8" type="text/javascript" src="//js.hsforms.net/forms/v2-legacy.js"></script>
<![endif]-->
<script charset="utf-8" type="text/javascript" src="//js.hsforms.net/forms/v2.js"></script>
<script>
hbspt.forms.create({
portalId: "my-hubspot-code",
formId: "e7075578-e362-4c94-a075-10fb9c74e8e0",
redirectUrl: "/sites/default/files/white-papers-files/huddle_-_accounting_and_professional_services_e-paper_2018.pdf",
onFormReady($form) {
$('input[name="web_activity_most_recent__c"]').val('Downloaded_ebook_collaboration_client-experience').change();
}
});
</script>

Screenshot 2019-02-14 at 12.26.42.pngScreenshot 2019-02-14 at 12.27.26.pngScreenshot 2019-02-14 at 12.27.16.png

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

SOLVE

Thanks but that doesn't work either. It's the $ that's the issue. It works perfectly when replacing the $ with the actual word "JQuery".

Final working code as below:

<!--[if lte IE 8]>
<script charset="utf-8" type="text/javascript" src="//js.hsforms.net/forms/v2-legacy.js"></script>
<![endif]-->
<script charset="utf-8" type="text/javascript" src="//js.hsforms.net/forms/v2.js"></script>

<script> hbspt.forms.create({   portalId: "replace-this-with-your-hubspot-id",   formId: "replace-this-with-hubspot-form-id",   onFormSubmit: function($form) {     jQuery('input[name="replace-this-with-hubspot-internal-name-of-hidden-field"]').val('replace-this-with-your-required-value').change();   } }); </script>

Also ensure your Salesforce mapping within the Hubspot integration settings is set to "Use most recent value" to avoid Salesforce from overwriting recent values changes in Hubspot.

Screenshot 2019-02-18 at 14.43.14.png

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
15 Replies 15
bradmin
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hi, @Anonymous. While the approach outlined would work, the properties in the Salesforce Information section are used in mappings. Populating the properties ending in "__c" - custom fields from Salesforce - won't push values to Salesforce from HubSpot. You want to update the HubSpot property mapped to that Salesforce Information property instead in your form. 

Brad Mampe, Salesforce Analyst, Fidelity
I'm probably wrong. I may not be right about that.
0 Upvotes
Anonymous
Not applicable

SOLVE

Thanks for this @bradmin , what do you suggest I do?

I've gone ahead and updated the Update Rule in the Salesforce mapping section within Hubspot from Use Salesforce value to Use updated value - as per Hubspot documentation. Everything seems to be working fine? Is there something I'm missing?

0 Upvotes
bradmin
Key Advisor

SOLVE

@Anonymous, it looks like the API name of the HubSpot-side property matches the Salesforce property. That would work if your custom HubSpot property has that same API name, but that may not be sustainable. 

Mappings allow you to populate the Salesforce side of the mapping, by setting the value in the HubSpot-side property part of the mapping. You'd have CustomHubspotProperty on the left side of the mapping, and Custom_Salesforce_Field__c on the right. After that's established, put CustomHubSpotProperty as your field on the form, and subsequent submissions will pass the desired value to Salesforce in Custom_Salesforce_Field__c. 

The ambiguous part is that the Salesforce field needs to exist among your HubSpot properties, so it can be included in the mapping. However, if you map the Salesforce field to the Salesforce field, nothing will effectively get synced to Salesforce from HubSpot. 

0 Upvotes
Anonymous
Not applicable

SOLVE

@bradmin thanks for the response, however everything seems to be working and matches up perfectly. Basically we had this working through Marketo for ages, so it's the exact same implementation.

The field's value updates whether amended from Salesforce or Hubspot.

Cheers

0 Upvotes
bradmin
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Okay, if it's working for you, you're all set. That's a particular config which does have the potential to interfere with results, but if you haven't experienced any issues, disregard what I wrote. 

0 Upvotes
Anonymous
Not applicable

SOLVE

Awesome thanks @bradmin I'll definitely keep an eye out.

Thanks again, cheers

JasminLin
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hey @Anonymous , if you use this instead it should work:

onFormReady($form) {
$('input[name="web_activity_most_recent__c"]', $form).val('Downloaded_ebook_collaboration_client-experience').change();
}
0 Upvotes
Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

SOLVE

Thanks but that doesn't work either. It's the $ that's the issue. It works perfectly when replacing the $ with the actual word "JQuery".

Final working code as below:

<!--[if lte IE 8]>
<![endif]-->

<script> hbspt.forms.create({   portalId: "replace-this-with-your-hubspot-id",   formId: "replace-this-with-hubspot-form-id",   onFormSubmit: function($form) {     jQuery('input[name="replace-this-with-hubspot-internal-name-of-hidden-field"]').val('replace-this-with-your-required-value').change();   } }); </script>

Also ensure your Salesforce mapping within the Hubspot integration settings is set to "Use most recent value" to avoid Salesforce from overwriting recent values changes in Hubspot.

0 Upvotes
LPM
Top Contributor | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Wouldn't it be much safer to just use plain js to do this?

e.g:

<script>
  hbspt.forms.create({
  portalId: "xxxxxxx",
  formId: "xxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx",
  onFormReady: function($form){
    valueFrom = document.querySelector('#value-from').innerHTML;
    document.getElementsByName("value_to")[0].value=valueFrom;
  },
});
</script>

This way you wouldn't be relying on jQuery at all, and it would, in general, be much quicker and more reliable. (No blocking, fires as soon as form loaded)

0 Upvotes
RLightfoot
Participant

SOLVE

@LPM -In your example, where would I place the "internal_property_name" of the field, and where would I place the "value" to go into that field?

Thank you

0 Upvotes
LPM

SOLVE

@RLightfoot the internal_property_name is the value_to, and the value is the valueFrom:

document.getElementsByName("internal_property_name")[0].value=valueFrom;

RLightfoot
Participant

SOLVE

@LPM - sorry, novice here...
is this the syntax?

<!--[if lte IE 8]>
<![endif]-->
<script>
hbspt.forms.create({
region: "xxx",
portalId: "xxxxxx",
formId: "xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx"
onFormReady: function($form){
valueFrom = document.querySelector('#value-from').innerHTML;
document.getElementsByName("favorite_character")[0].('Barney Rubble')=valueFrom;
}
});
</script>

Thank you.

0 Upvotes
LPM

SOLVE

As far as I can tell, region isn't a param on the embedded code. 

You can find out more of the form embedded code here:

https://legacydocs.hubspot.com/docs/methods/forms/advanced_form_options

The valueFrom variable in my example is only an example of where the data could come from. In this case, it's an element with the ID value-from somewhere on the page.

The assignment should be something like:

document.getElementsByName("favorite_character")[0].value='Barney Rubble';

You can check if the value has been set after by opening up the console and typing:

document.getElementsByName("favorite_character")[0].value 

RLightfoot
Participant

SOLVE

@LPM - Thank you.

0 Upvotes
LPM

SOLVE

No worries. Another way to make sure it gets the correct element with js is to use the form value that's defined by the callback like so:

form.elements.favorite_character.value = *insert value*