APIs & Integrations

guillermoa

Update a Contact Property upon Unsubscribe click on Marketing Email

SOLVE

I am a developer working on migrating a Marketing Email List into Hubspot. My plan is to use a dynamic contact list in Hubspot as the source of truth for this email list. I created a property that determines whether a user is subscribed to this email. I have hooked up to the Contacts API to subscribe, unsubscribe, get, etc.... All is working very well. I have not yet created the email itself, that will come next. I am not sure how to approach unsubscribes from within the email itself. I would like to have this property I have set in the Contact to false when a user clicks on it, however, I am not sure the best way to approach it. I could of course use the webhook, but that seems like overkill for such a simple requirement, so I am hoping to save some time and obtain some suggestions from fine folks such as yourselves. 

Thank you in advance

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
WendyGoh
Solution
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hey @guillermoa,

Just to clarify, are you looking to update a contact property when a contact unsubscribe from your marketing email subscription, is that right? 

If so, here's two suggestions that I'd love to share with you:

1. You could use a workflow to achieve this and here's an example of how it would look like:

Screen Shot 2020-04-14 at 2.22.36 PM.png

2. You could create a dynamic list with a filter example: `Email subscription has opted out of Marketing Information' > set up a poll to fetch contacts in the list via this endpoint Get contacts in a list > If there's new contact, POST this endpoint Update an existing contact to update contact's property to false.

Hope this helps and let me know your thoughts!

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
2 Replies 2
WendyGoh
Solution
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hey @guillermoa,

Just to clarify, are you looking to update a contact property when a contact unsubscribe from your marketing email subscription, is that right? 

If so, here's two suggestions that I'd love to share with you:

1. You could use a workflow to achieve this and here's an example of how it would look like:

Screen Shot 2020-04-14 at 2.22.36 PM.png

2. You could create a dynamic list with a filter example: `Email subscription has opted out of Marketing Information' > set up a poll to fetch contacts in the list via this endpoint Get contacts in a list > If there's new contact, POST this endpoint Update an existing contact to update contact's property to false.

Hope this helps and let me know your thoughts!

0 Upvotes
guillermoa

SOLVE

Solution 1 was exactly what I was looking for. Thank you @WendyGoh!

0 Upvotes