APIs & Integrations

lcdpanels

Uh Oh - not correct role

Request for Integration Permissions

"Uh oh!

You do not have the correct role to grant these permissions. Please contact your administrator."

I have the URL string matching according to the Oauth instructions: https://developers.hubspot.com/docs/methods/oauth2/initiate-oauth-integration

These were confirmed by Tech support -

The URL i used is

https://app.hubspot.com/oauth/authorize?client_id=<inserted my app’s client ID here>&scope=oauth%20contacts%20content%20timeline%20files&redirect_uri=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.hubspot.com

When I put this in my browser’s bar logged in as admin, it brings up asking me to select which hub to install the app under, then when I click my production hub, it says

"Uh oh!

You do not have the correct role to grant these permissions. Please contact your administrator."

Tech support refuses to give any guidance on this, I have followed the Docs instructions, all the permissions match, the scopes match in the string, the permissions match in both locations…

Please help me here as this is such a simple app…I’m about ready to recommend we switch CRM’s instead of dealing with such non-function.

All that should need to happen is call an api for authorization with an api key, and allow me to submit my data entries.

Please someone let me know have I missed the boat here?

0 Upvotes
6 Replies 6
lcdpanels

Uh Oh - not correct role

I think I have it now - going to run a couple tests and try this…

0 Upvotes
lcdpanels

Uh Oh - not correct role

Ok - checked the account have access to Sales Pro and Marketing Free…which would appear to cover all the roles I am using.

I do only need to use this for my hub (not writing it for everyone else that uses Hubspot…just my company) - are you saying that the HubSpot API key can accomplish what I’m after?

0 Upvotes
Dadams
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Uh Oh - not correct role

The Marketing Free tools would not have API access in the same way that the paid Marketing tools would, so you would not be able to request the content scope for that account. I’ll update the scope documentation to make that distinction more clear.

The API key for your portal would have full access to any APIs that would be supported for your portal, so the key may not have full access to every API we provide since the Marketing Free tools would limit that, but otherwise the key should work for any API requests you’re making for your account.

0 Upvotes
lcdpanels

Uh Oh - not correct role

All I want to do is automatically add a history item (a timestamped phone call record) to the timeline every time someone calls in to our call center. Do we need the content role?

0 Upvotes
Dadams
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Uh Oh - not correct role

If you’re trying to use timeline events for this, you would need the timeline scope. Also, the Timeline API does require using OAuth (it will not work with an API key). Since timeline events are set up with an app, you’d need to authorize that app with your portal to be able to create events from that app.

Otherwise, if you just want to create a simple note in the timeline, you could also do this with engagements:

Create an Engagement | Engagements API

POST /engagements/v1/engagements - Create an engagement via the HubSpot API.

Creating engagements would be covered with the contacts scope, and would work with either OAuth or an API key.

0 Upvotes
Dadams
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Uh Oh - not correct role

Hi @dgroth

If you’re logged in as an administrator, and you’re seeing that message, it usually means that the scopes you’re requesting aren’t supported by the HubSpot account you’re trying to authorize. As an example, if you’re working with an account that only has access to the Sales tools and CRM, you won’t be able to authorize the content scope (there’s a full list of scopes and the account types supported by the scopes here).

Alternatively, if you’re working on a custom integration just for your account, you can use an API key instead of OAuth. You can find the API key for your portal following the instrucitons here:

How do I get my HubSpot API key?

Marketing Basic, Professional, and Enterprise customers and portals with a CRM can access the HubSpot API. Learn how to access your HubSpot API key here.

0 Upvotes