APIs & Integrations

Jeromecollomb1

Turn any existing contact first name in first letter uppercase

Hi,

I think this could be useful for anybody in this community.

Many of our contacts don't enter their name with the first letter in caps.
This results in many emails and smart content displaying names such as "Hi johnny" or "Hi JOHNNY"
Personally, I don't like when my name is not properly displayed. Actually, nobody does :s

I guess this could be avoided for future contacts created by adding a bit of css in forms, like this:

input[type="text"]{
text-transform:capitalize;
}

My question is how could I apply this to any existing contact first name and name, so we could clean up the whole database?

Thanks,

0 Upvotes
4 Replies 4
jamiewalden

There's a free plugin now that creates a custom workflow action. After setting up the plugin, when you go to turn the plugin on with the trigger of completed "Any form submission," you could elect to enroll any existing contacts who meet this criteria. You might test a specific dummy for first with a few submissions. 

https://inboundaddons.com/change-name-case

Hope it helps. 

0 Upvotes
Derek_Gervais
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

Hi @Jeromecollomb,

Not if the only properties you're including in the re-import are email and firstname. The import tool automatically deduplicates based on the email property, so it'll update existing records in HubSpot instead of replacing/creating new records.

0 Upvotes
Derek_Gervais
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

Hi @Jeromecollomb,

To be honest, the simplest solution would probably be to manually export your contacts into a CSV, use excel to correctly capitalize the names, and then re-import the CSV. It's definitely possible to create an integration that pulls contacts via the Contacts API, checks for proper formatting, and then updates the necessary contact records. A solution like that might be a bit overkill, but it's definitely possible. I'll include the Contacts API docs below, for reference.

0 Upvotes
Jeromecollomb1

Thanks @Derek_Gervais,

Wouldn't exporting and reimporting contacts mess with any existing properties such as contact create date etc...?

Thanks,

0 Upvotes