APIs & Integrations

jjimeno
Participant | Diamond Partner

Tracking Multi-step Form

Hi, 

We are building a website in Hubspot requiring a multi-step form. Initially, I thought of creating a single form and let JS handle the step process and integrating it with the API on submit. however, we wanted to track the customer journey throughout this process and also take into consideration form abandonment, and etc.

Question is: Do I need to submit the form every after each step? Will Hubspot be able to track each step, track where or which step the user left off, etc? 

I have read that we can also implement creating multiple forms and connect them through the "redirect page on submit" option. However, this would mean every time I would click "Next" the page would reload, which is unacceptable for our UX Designers. 😞 

Hope someone would help. 

Thanks!

0 Upvotes
7 Replies 7
thesnappingdog
Contributor

Tracking Multi-step Form

hey @jjin i had the same problem some months ago and managed to create a multistep form by editing the embed code. Youd still need a 1 form for each step but it can be made to feel like its one single form. Youd be able to track abandonment by checking if people submit form 1 to form X

but to your actual question:

Do I need to submit the form every after each step? Will Hubspot be able to track each step, track where or which step the user left off, etc? 

No. You can "Save" the input questions in a variable and assign them at the last form as hidden questions. but not sure that makes sense since you can just get those submitted at each step and only bring along the email field

Here's the other thread with few code options, hope it helps: 

https://community.hubspot.com/t5/Lists-Lead-Scoring-Workflows/Multi-Step-Forms-Possible/m-p/376880#M...

no redirects or page reloads required 😄

WendyGoh
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Tracking Multi-step Form

Hey @jjimeno,

If you'd like to track when the users left off, perhaps having individual form submission would be the easiest way to see. This is because, the contact record timeline shows all the form submission and at a glance, we can easily see when a contact record stop submitting the subsequent form (if he/she did abandoned the form). 

Alternatively, we can create a contact list to pull these contacts.

0 Upvotes
jjimeno

Tracking Multi-step Form

Hi @WendyGoh , 

Thanks for the reply. In this case, do we always need to add the email address as part of each step for the succeeding forms to be tagged to the same contact? 

Thanks!

Regards, 

Jess

0 Upvotes
WendyGoh
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Tracking Multi-step Form

Hey @jjimeno,

If the contact is using the same browser to submit the subsequent form, based on their hututk, we would be able to identify that that's the contact.

However, I'd still recommend for your team to pass in the email field as a hidden field from the first form to the subsequent forms. 

0 Upvotes
jjimeno

Tracking Multi-step Form

Hi @WendyGoh,

hope you are doing well.

just a follow-up question, if we create the fields using HTML and submit through Hubspot Form API and making sure we pass the email address for every submission, will it prepopulate the fields in the event of revisiting the page after closing in the middle of the multi-step form process. 

Thank you!

0 Upvotes
WendyGoh
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Tracking Multi-step Form

Hey @jjimeno,

If the customer didn't previously submit a form with the values, it is likely that the fields will not be prepopulate. Here's more details on how HubSpot prepopulate fields: Form fields pre-populated with your own or someone else's information

0 Upvotes
jjimeno

Tracking Multi-step Form

hi @WendyGoh!

Got it! Thank you!

0 Upvotes