APIs & Integrations

jimthornton
Participant

Tracking API bug, limitation, or? Map data from WP site traffic to Hubspot Reports

Hi yall, 

So I spent some time with the Tracking Code API docs (events and overview) and could not find a clear solution. Any direction would be helpful.

Goal: I would like to push some metadata with the pageview events to Hubspot on a Wordpress site so that web analytics reporting can happen in Hubspot.

Situation: Hubspot > Reports > Traffic Analytics shows lots of columns that when hovered over have a tooltip that says, "These metrics are only available for HubSpot-hosted pages."

Now, for "content type" I know the wordpress site with hubspot analytics plugin shows traffic by page and standard pages fires this by default, here is the snippet on wp page:

<script type="text/javascript">
 var _hsq = _hsq || [];
 _hsq.push(["setContentType", "standard-page"]);
 </script>

Looks good. Same with a wp post:

<script type="text/javascript">
  var _hsq = _hsq || [];
  _hsq.push(["setContentType", "blog-post"]);
</script>

But when I look at the report in Hubspot, we cannot filter by content type of blog posts, none of the "Content Type" columns data comes through for the Wordpress pages. 
Screen Shot 2021-06-09 at 7.27.09 PM.png
That makes sense, but then it does let you filter by "blog post"

Screen Shot 2021-06-09 at 7.27.51 PM.png

 These are blog posts on the wordpress site being filtered in the report as promised.

Screen Shot 2021-06-09 at 7.28.13 PM.png

So it seems like we have the ability to layer the hubspot only columns of data in, or at least Hubspot has that data, but then we're blocked from getting the rest of it, even if we can? Or are there docs where I can customize the _hsq.push params to get this data to be ported through?

Here is the "Edit Columns" popup saying that this is only able to be Hubspot data:

Screen Shot 2021-06-09 at 7.30.15 PM.png

Any direction for API docs, or advice, or even just a "yep, that's how it is" would be helpful to know!

Thanks in advance 

0 Upvotes
2 Replies 2
jimthornton
Participant

Tracking API bug, limitation, or? Map data from WP site traffic to Hubspot Reports

@Bryantworks @Josh @dennisedson Any more thoughts here? Revisiting before closing out.

It seems like there are a couple options. 

We are trying to push web analytics data from Wordpress sites for hubspot reporting and adding/updating CRM contacts in a way that we can then trigger workflows for those contacts. This seems really core to inbound marketing and I'm assuming there is a best way to do it.

The example use case is having a client on HS Enterprise being able to report on user web analytics and associate that activity with HS CRM contacts for efforts around a wordpress membership portal with LMS, some requirements are:

• Users register -> contact created or updated in Hubspot
  • Web analytics from hubspot analytics tracking code starts to associate their web activity with their contact in the CRM
  • Web analytics reporting is reportable for x users using the LMS, pageviews on lessons, etc.,
  • User completes a course -> course completion noted in HS CRM -> workflow triggered sending email to congratulate user
  • User completes a certificate-> certificate tag added in HS CRM -> workflows matching all users with that certificate can be used

Option 1 Use one of the Events APIs
Create custom behavioral events with events api or simply push events with the tracking code / js api

Option 2 Use the new CRM API

Use one of the ways to POST / PUT streams of data, like tickets, line items, custom objects to add activity in an accessible way

Option 3

Both? Something else? 

We're having some trouble with the newer APIs, our dev is saying that the new CRM API seems very immature, in the sense that there are lot’s of typos in the examples, missing import/include statements, etc. Tickets and properties don’t work -- even cutting and pasting the sample code (after fixing the syntax errors).

Any help or guidance, or even just simply "this can't be done with Hubspot" would be super helpful!

0 Upvotes
dennisedson
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

@jimthornton 

Thanks for the very detailed question. 

Adding a couple people smarter than I to this to get a proper "yep" answer 😀

@Bryantworks , @Josh  do you have any comments other than "yep" for @jimthornton ?

0 Upvotes