APIs & Integrations

Karthick
Participant

Track anonymous visitor's page visits

Hi, I'm pretty new to development and I am facing difficulty in  counting the page views for anonymous visitors.
I want to allow my blog visitors to browse and see atmost 3 blog articles and then show them a popup form asking them to register to see to the other articles. I was going through the hubspot tracking code API and was wondering if anyone has implemented a similar stuff in their hubspot blog: To read from cookie the number of pages visited by the anonymous visitor and then according to the number of pages visited popup a form? 

4 Replies 4
DomRychlik
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

Hello HubSpot Community,

My name is Dom, a Product Manager at HubSpot. My team and I are currently looking for Alpha testers for a brand new feature in Hubspot called Audiences that will allow marketers to create segments of anonymous website users based on a number of filters such as location, language, device, browsing history etc and use these segments for content personalisation, to increase your conversions and gather insights as your website visitors. 

If you’re a marketer interested in this functionality please feel free to reach out to me via a direct message and I can add this feature to your portal. 

Best,

Dom

0 Upvotes
Neal
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Hi Karthick! I haven't seen anyone implement this before, and I don't think our tracking code API gives any options that would allow you to read the views of a cookie that's not yet associated to a contact in the CRM. 

However it could be possible using a custom script placing a cookie. If you were to create a script that placed a cookie to track those page views you could then customize the script to overlay a sign-up form on the blog URLs once they had read 3 articles. 

As above, I haven't seen this implemented, so I don't have example code or anything, however I hope the context about the HubSpot options helps. 

0 Upvotes
Karthick
Participant

Hi Neal,
Regarding creatin a custom script to place a cookie, my developer told me that it would not be possible since hubspot does not allow server-side scripting.
Is there any other way to do this? 

0 Upvotes
Neal
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Hi Karthick - on the HubSpot side there's no functionality to achieve this in-app for anonymous visitors.
The above cookie suggestion would be the best suggestion I have, and should be possible if run with on page scripts (i.e. scripts embedded to your HubSpot page header). That's not to say it would be straightforward, but there are tools that place custom cookies on HubSpot pages using scripts loaded on the page level, so placing a cookie or custom tracking pixel via a page level script should be feasible to test out. 

0 Upvotes