APIs & Integrations

daLiRa
Participant

Timeline Embed with API Key

SOLVE

Hi,

I would be interested in using the contact timeline embed api combined with an apikey to avoid creating hundereds of Hubspot users and showing logins forms in our iframes in Dynamics.

Could this maybe be realized in the future?

Best regards

Danny

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
daLiRa
Solution
Participant

SOLVE

Hi Isaac,

Thanks a lot for your reply and understanding.

I checked the ideas platform and found similiar idea already there created by Tuesday: https://community.hubspot.com/t5/HubSpot-Ideas/Secure-embedded-timeline/idi-p/258579

I voted for it and hope others will do so too.

Best regards
Danny

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6
IsaacTakushi
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Welcome, @daLiRa.

To clarify, are you wishing to use the Timeline API without creating an OAuth app?

If so, could you describe your use case in more detail, as I'm a bit confused.

If you're trying to log the activities of users on your website/app in HubSpot, you wouldn't have to create multitudes of HubSpot users, but rather just create timeline events for each contact record. For an OAuth integration to work, you would only need one of your HubSpot admins to install the app and then authenticate calls to the Timeline API with the access tokens the app would provide. Said differently, your end users wouldn't see or interact with any OAuth processes — they would just log into your site normally.

Isaac Takushi

Associate Certification Manager
0 Upvotes
IsaacTakushi
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hey again, @daLiRa.

If you're referring to accessing the Contact Timeline Embed feature with an API key, however, my answer would be no. Using API keys in this way would make them visible on the client-side and would leave the entire account vulnerable.

Isaac Takushi

daLiRa
Participant

SOLVE

Hi Isaac,

That's what we are interested in. Until December all our CRM users were able to see the Hubspot Timeline for their contacts in an iframe in CRM via the public Contact Timeline page.

After unsupporting this public timeline (fully agree with data protection requirements and security) and switching to the current contact timeline embed most of our 650 CRM users get a login form instead.

To create Hubspot user accounts for all these users just to let them see the timeline is a little too much effort for us as these users will never work with Hubspot in the future.

Therefore we thought about asking for a way to autologin in the current contact timeline embed (apikey would be a suggestion as it is uniquely connected to a portalid).

0 Upvotes
IsaacTakushi
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hi, @daLiRa.

Apologies for the delayed response.

Thank you for clarifying your use case. That said, I've confirmed this is not something the team will implement in the near future given the concern I cited earlier with surfacing API keys client-side.

I do want to allow other customers to voice their opinions on the ability to surface some contact timeline information without being full HubSpot users, however.

I recommend posting your use case on the Ideas Forum per these best practices. Members of our product teams regularly review top voted and commented ideas and will engage with customers.

Although I know this isn't the answer you're currently looking for, I appreciate the time you've taken to voice this feedback.

Isaac Takushi

0 Upvotes
daLiRa
Solution
Participant

SOLVE

Hi Isaac,

Thanks a lot for your reply and understanding.

I checked the ideas platform and found similiar idea already there created by Tuesday: https://community.hubspot.com/t5/HubSpot-Ideas/Secure-embedded-timeline/idi-p/258579

I voted for it and hope others will do so too.

Best regards
Danny

IsaacTakushi
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Thanks for the link, @daLiRa! I've upvoted the idea as well Smiley Happy

Isaac Takushi

0 Upvotes