APIs & Integrations

PhilippKrebs
Participant

Quality of Documentation and error messages for imports endpoint

SOLVE

Dear team,

I have worked with the imports endpoint over the last few days and while I was able to get my code working with the help of the support team, I was frustrated by the quality of the documentation and the error messages returned by the endpoint. To name a few:

- There are too few working examples for new import requests. As soon as one deviates from the standard case shown there, one is in the dark

- Any problem with the specification of the import just returns 

{ "status": "error", "message": "Unable to process JSON", "correlationId": "f35a7826-9b63-4c62-a8b7-0203f633d8d3" } 

This would hint at an issue with the formatting of the JSON, so I tried several JSON validators that all confirmed my file was valid.

If there is a problem with the import specification, the error message should say what the problem is and not point at the JSON itself.

- A file name mismatch between the json and the attached file just returns a "bad request" error instead of a proper error message ("Specified file not included in form data. Did you specify the file name correctly?" or similar) 

- The possibility to specify column names makes one think that it is possible to specify for each column based on the header. However, Hubspot ignores this information and just processes the columns in order they are specified.

- The custom object IDs and property names for contact notes and company notes are not specified in the documentation

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
dennisedson
Solution
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

SOLVE

Thanks @quentin_lamamy !

@PhilippKrebs , first of all, apologies for your struggle here.  We are working on creating more examples for the APIs in general which will be added to the Academy as well as the developer docs. 

Although I appreciate your reasoning for not posting to the ideas board, I would still add this post there.  We actively look at the ideas board to refine our features set.  The other channels are intended to be a more community driven area and the product team does not actively monitor these boards. 

Regardless, you have my attention now 😄 and I will make sure that the correct teams are made aware of your comments!

(Apologies for my delayed response.  Was out on holiday)

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
6 Replies 6
MFrye
Participant

SOLVE

I'm working with a Hubspot enterprise customer now to setup an automation using the imports endpoint. The developer experience right now is abysmal. It's been almost a year since this was raised and SDKs, docs, examples, and the server response for this endpoint are all still horrible.

How is this not fixed yet, and how is the "accepted solution" do not use the SDK? https://community.hubspot.com/t5/APIs-Integrations/NodeJS-SDK-Hubsport-CRM-import/td-p/479966

0 Upvotes
PhilippKrebs
Participant

SOLVE
dennisedson
Solution
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

SOLVE

Thanks @quentin_lamamy !

@PhilippKrebs , first of all, apologies for your struggle here.  We are working on creating more examples for the APIs in general which will be added to the Academy as well as the developer docs. 

Although I appreciate your reasoning for not posting to the ideas board, I would still add this post there.  We actively look at the ideas board to refine our features set.  The other channels are intended to be a more community driven area and the product team does not actively monitor these boards. 

Regardless, you have my attention now 😄 and I will make sure that the correct teams are made aware of your comments!

(Apologies for my delayed response.  Was out on holiday)

0 Upvotes
quentin_lamamy
Key Advisor | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

i let @dennisedson clarify the situation

0 Upvotes
quentin_lamamy

SOLVE

Hi @PhilippKrebs 
This error doesn't mean that the json is not well formed but it says hubspot api was no able to parse it. Maybe you are not using the right json structure

By the way if you have idea of improovmentyou can post it on the idea board 

0 Upvotes
PhilippKrebs
Participant

SOLVE

Hi Quentin,

one can always argue but for me "not able to parse" means that something is wrong with the code itself, not just the content. At least it should be more clear and it should definitely say what is wrong.

The main reason for posting was that the support agent that I contacted, who agreed about the lack of documentation and the lack of proper error messages, suggested to post here as well. For me, the idea board is not the right place - it is not an "idea" or feature that the developers do their work properly and document their API and return proper error messages 🙂 - just the way it should be.

0 Upvotes