APIs & Integrations

JDobbin
Colaborador(a) | Parceiro Diamante

Property not being updated through Segment.com

Hey guys, we've using Segment.com (former segment.io) to send data to create and update custom properties in HubSpot. So far so great but I noticed one thing today that is very worrysome. We have a customer KPI that is "Content Score" (we have a content marketing platform) and HubSpot receives this alright but only updates it when the score is different. So, lets say a customer gives three 10's, HubSpot will only record 1 update which is going to be one "10" like the examples attached.

Even though HubSpot acknowledges that user went through the evaluation events multiple times, it only updates it when it has different scores. I'm attaching the examples below:

only updates property when given different scoreonly updates property when given different scorecontent rating eventscontent rating events

Any idea on how to overcome this? Its a north star metric for us and crucial for customer health evaluation 😕

0 Avaliação positiva
3 Respostas 3
Derek_Gervais
Alunos da HubSpot
Alunos da HubSpot

Hey @JDobbin ,

This is working as I would expect; by default, the property history tracks changes to the property value. In this case, multiple 10s are distinct events, but not actually property changes.

Can I ask a bit more about how you're using this info? Are you somehow aggregating the contact propery history into a score?

Based on what specifically you're doing, there are likely a couple of different options. First, you might consider clearing the property before every event, and then updating with the score. This could theoretically be done with distinct events, the Contacts API, or some other mechanism, depending on your system.

Happy to discuss other options if you have more info on how exactly this property is being used!

0 Avaliação positiva
JDobbin

Hey Derek thanks for your reply! So...earlier yesterday I did made a workflow to reset the property so we could have the data updated more frequently. But the best way I managed to get around this was by using the event as enrollment criteria for the workflow. So, what I want to do is to be alert if a customer is constantly giving our Content a low scoring.

User trigger event: story.rating

IF last rating >= 7 THEN it increases a counter called content promoter counter (1 positive rating)

IF last rating <= 6 THEN it increases the content detractor counter (1 negative rating)

Each time a counter goes up, the other is cleared. A customer can have 3 possible "Content Quality Scores" = Good / Neutral / Bad. If he goes through 3 rating events keeping a above average score, he's marked as "Good" in the score. If he goes through mixed ratings (a 9, a 6 and then a 10) he is set as "Neutral". And if he rates 3 content below average in a row, he has a Bad scoring.

The user is re-enrolled each time he/she triggers the rating event that our Content Marketing Platform sends through Segment.

I found this the best way to move, better than resetting the property. What do you think?

0 Avaliação positiva
Derek_Gervais
Alunos da HubSpot
Alunos da HubSpot

Hey @JDobbin ,

That sounds like a phenomenal idea! I think it's definitely a better idea than trying to create a workaround for the way the property history behaves. Let me know if you have any other questions about implementing the workflow (or anything else related to this issue).

0 Avaliação positiva