APIs & Integrations

sashamihaha
Participant

Property is updated only for one user

SOLVE

Hi!

We have a page created with our custom template in HS.  I'm implementing tracking for this page and pass data to HS using 'identify' method. The problem is that property value is updated only for one contact for some reason, and this user is the creator of the template.

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
sashamihaha
Solution
Participant

SOLVE

Alright, so we figured out what caused that. Apparently, our HS configuration was set to filter out our internal ip addresses from tracking Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
WendyGoh
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hey @sashamihaha,

By identifying method, do you mean this method - Identify a visitor? If so, as this function only stores the data in the tracker, you would need to passed the data through either the the trackPageView or trackEvent functions, have your team implemented this?

If the email identified is different, I would expect it to update different contact accordingly. It would be useful for me to dig into things here, if you can share with me the page in question and the way these functions is being implemented (i.e. with a snippet of the code). 

0 Upvotes
sashamihaha
Participant

SOLVE

Hey Wendy,

Yes, this is exactly the method I'm using and I also use trackEvent after it to pass the data.

The code block is here: 

_hsq.push(["identify",{ id: 'roi_calculator_total', roi_calculator_total: this.expertChat }]);
_hsq.push(['trackEvent', { id: 'roi_calculator_total'}]);

Unfortunately, the page is only available for our internal use at the moment so you won't be able to access it. For now I pass the value of one of the fields on the page but I've also tried to pass plain text there, and it also was updated only for one user. We've tried using different accounts to test and I can see that those were identified based on PageView events.

0 Upvotes
WendyGoh
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hey @sashamihaha,

Thanks for sharing with me the code block. Based on the code block that you shared, I noticed that the email property wasn't included. The unique identifier for this method is the contact email address and hence you would need to include the email parameter. 

As stated in this documentation - Identify a visitor:

However, unlike with an email address, including an 'id' by itself will not create a contact. Also, this 'id' is treated as a completely external identity, so while analytics data can be associated with a specific contact record by the ID (if, for example, you've previously identified a record by ID and by email, or the record was previously identified by ID and the visitor also has a form submission), the contact record cannot be looked up by this ID

Could you try adding the contact email address and see if it works for you?

0 Upvotes
sashamihaha
Participant

SOLVE

We have tried to add email property but no luck.

0 Upvotes
sashamihaha
Solution
Participant

SOLVE

Alright, so we figured out what caused that. Apparently, our HS configuration was set to filter out our internal ip addresses from tracking Smiley Happy