APIs & Integrations

bishopdave2000

Preserve Company Custom Properties After Merge

SOLVE

I'm integrating an external ERP via Hubspot API to transfer company data.  I've added a custom property to track my external ERP company id.  This works well.

However, I noticed after merging a company in Hubspot that I lose one of the custom property values.  Is there a way to preserve both custom property values in the merge Hubspot company?  Preserving both of my custom property values would allow my external application to determine the company was merged in Hubspot and prevent creating a duplicate company in Hubspot.

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
PamCotton
Solution
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @bishopdave2000 

I would say no, I don’t believe we track the cause of a merge (by a user vs. via the API). We do have a merge-audits field in the API response.
You could look at the API data for an example record.

I hope this helps.

Pam

Você sabia que a Comunidade está disponível em outros idiomas?
Participe de conversas regionais, alterando suas configurações de idioma !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
5 Replies 5
PamCotton
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hello @bishopdave2000 

Welcome to the Community, when you mention merging the Company, is from your API to HubSpot? If so you will need to ensure that this custom property is also created in HubSpot as a custom property  (more information here).

The name for each field must match the name of the property from the Contact Properties API.

I hope this information helps.

Pam

0 Upvotes
bishopdave2000

SOLVE

Thanks for the feedback, Pam.

This information isn't exactly what I need.  I'm going to clarify what I need.  Here's the situation:

• I've added a custom property to the company in Hubspot called ERP_ID
  • I have two companies to be merged and each with a different ERP_ID customer property value value (e.g. Smith Manufacturing (ERP_ID: 1), Duplicate Smith Manufacturing (ERP_ID:2)).
  • I'd like to merge Smith Manufacturing (ERP_ID: 1), Duplicate Smith Manufacturing (ERP_ID:2) in Hubspot to have a single company called Smith Manufacturing with two ERP_ID custom property values (ERP_ID: 1, ERP_ID:2) after the merge.  The company doman property seems to behave this way after merging, so I'm wondering if there's a custom property setting allow me to mimic the domain property behavior in my ERP_ID custom property.

I need multiple  ERP_ID custom property values after merge to allow my API integration application to verify the duplicate company was merged into the other company.  I'm trying to avoid having end users update ERP and Hubspot when merging a company.  I hope this clarifies what I'm trying to do.  

Thanks,

Dave

0 Upvotes
PamCotton
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @bishopdave2000 

When you merge two companies, The primary company record will remain after the merge. The secondary company will be merged into the primary record.

So it's expected this behavior of merging the property.

As a workaround I can think is to use API to get the custom property value using this API here before merging Companies.

I will be also tagging some of our top contributors, @Reg@Adesignl@derekcavaliero, do you have any suggestions you would like to share here?

Thank you.

Pam

0 Upvotes
bishopdave2000

SOLVE

Is there any way to determine via the API that a user merged a company via UI?  If not, thanks for all your help.

0 Upvotes
PamCotton
Solution
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @bishopdave2000 

I would say no, I don’t believe we track the cause of a merge (by a user vs. via the API). We do have a merge-audits field in the API response.
You could look at the API data for an example record.

I hope this helps.

Pam

0 Upvotes