APIs & Integrations

TomekR
Participant

Passing data between modules used in the same template, global variables

Hey,
I would like a custom module to set a variable that would be visible for whole template that is using the module.

Example:

1. A custom module with Google Maps element including all the data for the map
  2. Another custom module that creates a Google Map element
  3. A template calling one or multiple custom modules with Google Maps elements
  4. A template without any of those modules
  5. A partial (footer) that is included in every template with JS code that calls Google Maps API and JS init function

What I would like to achieve is to have the JS code for Google Maps only when module that creates a map element is used in the template. Any ideas?

I thought that setting a variable inside the map module that the footer can detect would be perfect, but of course the variable is not visible outside the module.

0 Upvotes
4 Replies 4
Derek_Gervais
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

Hi @TomekR,

You should be able to export the variable to the template context, making it accessible throughout the template:

0 Upvotes
TomekR
Participant

It does not really work for custom modules.

When using the custom module in my template like this:
{% module "module_153363010948629" module_id="3490718" label="EDGE Map Big" export_to_template_context=True %}
the module dissapears from template preview and does not work at all.

0 Upvotes
TomekR
Participant

Correction. The module exports data to context, but does not render at all.

0 Upvotes
TomekR
Participant

omg... this behavior is in this parameters definition... :confused: . Really no option to have both: html rendering and retriving data?

0 Upvotes