APIs & Integrations

Not applicable

Pages API returns different response codes to different requesters

We are doing a simple GET request to the pages api like so:

GET https://api.hubapi.com/content/api/v2/pages/{page id}?hapikey={api key}

When we make this request from a cloud service in Azure, we occasionally receive a response of 403 Unauthorized. However, I can copy the same URL into my browser and get a valid response with data.

What could be causing one request to get a 403 and the other to be successful, even if the requests are seconds apart?

0 Upvotes
5 Replies 5
Not applicable

Our hosting provider is Microsoft as this is Azure. I don’t think we’ll have any luck having them look into the rest of the Azure clients. Perhaps blocking the IP address is too simple of a strategy.

0 Upvotes
Not applicable

@dadams any update on this?

0 Upvotes
Dadams
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Those types of 403 errors are related to our application firewall. Their usually the result of a temporary block put in place when we see excessive or malicious traffic coming from a source. These blocks are temporary, and they’ll usually be removed shortly after the traffic goes back to normal.

If you’re still seeing these blocks after a few days, and you’re on a shared host, you may want to contact your hosting provider to make sure that another client isn’t creating excessive requests.

0 Upvotes
Dadams
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Hi @ian-moore

Do you have an example of the body of one of those 403 responses? We normally have more details in the body of error responses.

0 Upvotes
Not applicable

Hi @dadams, here is an example response that I received today:

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Access Denied</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<H1>Access Denied</H1>
You don't have permission to access "http://api.hubapi.com/content/api/v2/pages/4933702052?" on this server.
<P>Reference #18.38781bb8.1497539630.2c79caac
</BODY>
</HTML>
0 Upvotes