APIs & Integrations

birkulstad
Participant

PATCH call to engagement API call does not update some fields

Hi, 

I have been trying to update the associations on a recently created engagement, that was created successfully through the engagement API. I noticed that the associated company of a contact is also automatically associated with a new engagement (email log in this case). Because I am using the API to log old emails that were sent a long time ago, and the contacts have changed which companies they are associated with since that time, I want to remove this association after I have created the engagement in the first place.

I tried using the PATCH call outlined here:

https://developers.hubspot.com/docs/methods/engagements/update_engagement-patch

However, it seems that the PATCH call is unable to change or remove any associations. In fact, the only things the PATCH call are allowed to change, it seems, is the engagement ownerId and timestamp and the metadata body, which are coincidentally the ones listed in the example. I wonder if I am doing something wrong, or if there are in fact restrictions to what properties on the engagement object can be changed.

I actually tried doing the same change/removal of ownerIds using a PUT call, but again no change to the association fields. It would be very good to have a clarification around this and some help to get the desired result here. 

0 Upvotes
3 Replies 3
sharonlicari
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @birkulstad 

Apologies for the delayed answer. Do you still need help with this matter?  

Thank you

Sharon 

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

0 Upvotes
birkulstad
Participant

Hi, 

No, I realised after hours of wasted time using different approaches that to update det associations, I had to use the Associations API and not the engagement API. In the future, it would be helpful, if you specified which fields of an engagements that can be patched after the engagements are created and which fields must be altered using other APIs in the Hubspot API library. That would have saved me time and could save others time in the future. Thanks for getting back to me though!

Cheers

0 Upvotes
Willson
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Hi @birkulstad,

We're sorry to hear that this was a frustrating experience but thank you for this feedback, we'll be sure to pass this to our team as we look to flush out our new v3 documentation and improve our developer experience!

Thanks!

Product Manager @ HubSpot