APIs & Integrations

BobSmith0

My Timeline shows incorrect to and from information for an engagement created through the API

My Timeline shows incorrect to and from information for an engagement created through the API
My Sales Dashboard Team Activity view also shows incorrect sender and receiver for this engagement as well.

How the engagement was created:

I am using the authenticated user to create the engagement between two contacts.

Step 1. Create a company, let's say Company1 (with an domain of company1.com)
Step 2. Create a contact, let's say User1 (with email of user1.company1.com and associated company (that was created above))
Step 3. Create an engagement where:
contactIds is the vid of User1
companyIds is the vid of Company1
metadata:
from email = user1.company1.com
to email = user2.company2.com

Example: my call to: https://api.hubapi.com/engagements/v1/engagements
includes a POST with the body containing

{"engagement":{"active":true,"ownerId":0,"type":"EMAIL","timestamp":1523195313000},"associations":{"contactIds":[nnnn],"companyIds":[nnnnnnnnnn],"dealIds":[],"ownerIds":[],"attachments":[]},"metadata":{"from":{"email":"user1@company1.com","firstName":"User1"},"to":[{"email":"user2@company2.com"}],"cc":[],"bcc":[],"subject":"Test email","html":"no body"}}

Where: nnnn is the vid of the sender of the email (user1@company1.com) and nnnnnnnnn is the vid of the company that is company1.com

The resulting engagement shows in the timeline for user1@company1.com shows "You logged an email with user2@company2.com"

On top of that, the Sales Team Activity view shows: "XXX sent an email to User2" (Where XXX is my logged in HubSpot account)

Questions:

1. How do I get the engagement in the timeline to show: "User1 logged an email with User 2" ?
  2. How do I get the Team Activity in the Sales Dashboard to show: "User1 sent an email to User2" ?
0 Upvotes
1 Reply 1
Derek_Gervais
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

Hi @BobSmith0,

HubSpot engagements are built to track interactions between HubSpot users and contact/company/deal records. They aren't built to track interactions between contacts, or between contact/company/deal records. Even when including two external email addresses in the to: and from: fields, HubSpot will always show the activity as it relates to it's owner. In your case, since you didn't include any owner, the activity should appear as "New logged email with {{recipient}}"

It's not currently possible to change this behavior; if you're looking to track emails between contacts, logging them in this way is likely the best option. I can see the use case you're describing though; if you have the inclination, I would encourage you to check out the Ideas Forum on the HubSpot Community. There, you can create a post including your use case that product and other customers can see.

0 Upvotes