APIs & Integrations

Not applicable

Multi-step form / wizard; Contacts API or Forms API?

We have a custom multi-step form for the sign-up process on our website.

The first page is the sign-up page (requires name, email and phone) which leads to multiple steps where more data are captured at each step.

Should I be creating multiple HubSpot forms one for each step? Or is Contacts API more sensible?

In the Contacts documentation, it says “If your contacts come through online forms, use the Form Submission endpoint.” However, in Forms documentation, it says do not use it for “updating contact properties.”

What is the recommended approach for our scenario?

24 Replies 24
Not applicable

@zwolfson thank you its much appreciated!

Niyi

0 Upvotes
Not applicable

Hello @zwolfson i’m in a similar situation where i have a multi-step Form. If I ensure the email property is consistent will the “Submit data to a form” API update my records?.

0 Upvotes
zwolfson
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Hi @adeniyi,

Yes as long as the email address and/or cookie value is consistent, HubSpot will know it’s the same record and update it rather than create a new contact.

-Zack

0 Upvotes
Craig
Top Contributor

Hi @zwolfson thanks for this. What a nightmare, made so much worse by not having control over either the website code or where the iframe is hosted.

I’m going to push again to get the app directly onto the page not in an iframe. Say we go this way and a user drops directly onto the page (ie no HS cookie is present yet), the cookie is dropped, will document.cookie be able to grab it or will it need to be on a second page load? I’m mainly a backend developer, PHP in particular and in this case the cookie isn’t accessible until the next page load.

If we have to stick with an iframe, if I can get the iframe moved to the same domain/subdomain as the outer page, the cookie will be shared by default as I understand it?

Thanks again for your persistence here!

0 Upvotes
zwolfson
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

No problem @craigivemy, happy to help!

You won’t need a second page load. Here’s a little more detail on how the hubspot cookie gets dropped. First thing that happens is the embed code executes, and all that does it gets another javascript file (so that someone doesn’t have to update their embed code everytime we need to make a change). This new javascript file is delivered and executes and this is when the cookie gets dropped. That should only take a couple hundred milliseconds in more cases. So if we can wait until when we make the request to HubSpot about the submission document.cookie will have everything we need.

For the first page load, it won’t be available to the server because it gets dropped after the server has delivered the page so it wouldn’t part of the incoming request for a brand new visitor.

I’d have to test the scenario of loading an iframe into a page on the same domain/subdomain. You are correct that cookies are shared across the domain, I’m just worried that if they both happen pretty much simultaneously for a net new visitor two different cookies might get dropped before we can notice it’s the same person.

-Zack

0 Upvotes
Craig
Top Contributor

Hi @zwolfson that’s what I thought - in fact it makes sense now why we were seeing blank values - because the iframe didn’t have access to the cookie as was on a different domain.

Re: the iframe on same domain - I imagined just not including the HS tracking code on the iframe, and sending the one from the outer page through AJAX to forms API - in my head that would work!?

Thanks

Craig

0 Upvotes
zwolfson
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Yeah sounds like it should work. The only caveat is you can’t hit the Forms API directly through AJAX, the AJAX request would be to your server, which could then hit the HubSpot Forms API

-Zack

0 Upvotes
Craig
Top Contributor

Yep it’s on a different server. All working - got it embedded without iframe. Thanks for all the help with this @zwolfson!!!

Craig
Top Contributor

@captainmike what approach did you go with in the end?
We have a similar situation whereby we need to analytics that come with submitting a form via hs_context, but the app far better suits using the contacts API.

Essentially we have an embedded HTML5 quiz, with a form to begin with, then each slide the user clicks yes/no or some other answer, which need to update their contact record. At the moment everything is done via create or update contact by email endpoint - https://developers.hubspot.com/docs/methods/contacts/create_or_update but this means we aren’t getting the surrounding analytics.

@zwolfson do you see any issues with the following approach for this?

1. Name and email is submitted via hubspot forms api
  2. Next slide of the app and all subsequent ones use the create or update contact by email endpoint (https://developers.hubspot.com/docs/methods/contacts/create_or_update)

Problem I could see would be if a contact isn’t immediately created via forms api - is there any delay?

Thanks in advance

0 Upvotes
zwolfson
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Hey @craigivemy,

It won’t be an issue if there is a delay in Form Submission processing since the create or update endpoint will take care of that. The only issue I could see here is the volume of requests. Sending one call for each step in a quiz could take you up against the daily API limit. Depending on your volume you might want to wait until someone finishes the quiz or abandons it to send the results to HubSpot.

-Zack

0 Upvotes
Craig
Top Contributor

Hi @zwolfson thanks for the quick reply. The quiz isn’t very long and whilst we are getting loads of people filling it out it would never take us near 40k per day or 10 per second, but thanks for the heads up.

Regarding the delay - let’s say there is one (do we have a definite answer on whether there is one?) for creating the contact via the form submissions endpoint, and therefore a few seconds later the contact is created instead by the create/update contact endpoint - what would happen when the form submission is processed? Would we still be missing the analytics as the contact api was responsible for creating the contact? What we are seeing now is loads of contacts with no surrounding analytics which we want to fix.

Thanks

Craig

0 Upvotes
Craig
Top Contributor

HI @zwolfson, just following on from my response yesterday - I had another question:

The HTML5 app loads in an iframe. Therefore I’d need to include the HubSpot tracking code within the iframe too, correct? And add the domain where the iframe is actually hosted to HubSpot tracking domains - is this all I’d need to do along with approach in earlier post in order to get all analytics?

Sorry - I could just test all of this if we owned the app but we don’t, we get sent the latest version to edit, so I want to get my approach 100% before requesting they send it over.

0 Upvotes
zwolfson
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Hey @craigivemy,

There shouldn’t be a delay in form processing more than 1 second but it’s possible that under heavy loads it could get longer than that. Even if there is a delay, we’ll see when the form submission was and use that to determine the original source of the contact since that will have the earliest timestamp even if it wasn’t fully processed first. There shouldn’t be any risk of not seeing the analytics you are missing if you submit the form submission first.

If you include the quiz in the iframe the tracking code won’t know the true original source of the contact. a) does the quiz have to be loaded in an iframe? b) if it does, can you load the hutk value from the parent page into iframe, maybe via a url parameter of the iframe. That way it has the original value that we have the source tied to.

-Zack

0 Upvotes
Craig
Top Contributor

@zwolfson thanks for the info here, extremely helpful.

It doesn’t have to be in an iframe but i think if it isn’t it may restrict the functionality - there’s code in the of the iframe specific to the app and we don’t have access to the actual site. If we use the JS embed I can’t see how the iframe code is possibly going to run, I’ll reach out to Hype 3 (what the app has been built on).

Cheers

Craig
Top Contributor

@zwolfson suddenly had another thought. My server side script that will process the HubSpot form data will be on a different server to the one that contains the form - ie a different server to the app and where the HubSpot cookie is dropped.

Therefore surely I would need to somehow send that cookie data along with my form data, correct? I’ve never done this before and haven’t had any feedback on missing analytics.

Thanks

0 Upvotes
zwolfson
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Hey @craigivemy,

That’s not an issue, just make sure you send the cookie value over to the server that will be making the request to HubSpot. As long as all the information specified in the Forms API documentation is on the server that will be making the request, you’re good. To take an extreme example, you could send the information through a 100 different servers before it gets to HubSpot and it won’t make a difference. The key is making sure you capture the cookie dropped onto the user’s browser that you want to track. Once it’s captured, passing it along to another server is fine.

-Zack

0 Upvotes
Craig
Top Contributor

Thanks @zwolfson it was more that I’d never actually grabbed and sent the cookie from one server to another before, so was thinking perhaps I’d need to go back and update other sites. But after doing some research it seems cookies will be sent with AJAX requests by default, which thinking about it does make sense as they are just http requests after all.

Thanks

Craig

Craig
Top Contributor

@zwolfson apologies for yet another post on this but we are seeing some irregular behaviour.

I’ve altered the initial sign up for to use the HubSpot forms API. Unfortunately the app is still within an iframe - and on a different domain - however we have tried including the HubSpot tracking code in the head of the iframe.

Within the iframe I’m grabbing the HubSpot cookie with the following regex:

var match = document.cookie.match(new RegExp('hubspotutk' + '=([^;]+)'));
if (match) {
	window.hubspotCookie = match[1];
} else {
	window.hubspotCookie = '';
}

I also grab the client IP using jsonip api. Later, when the form is submitted, these bits of data are sent with the form field data to the forms api.

When I test this myself, the HubSpot cookie value is grabbed and sent with the AJAX request just fine. However, we aren’t seeing improved analytics, and therefore I’ve been logging each submission - the IP and hubspotutk cookie value - and only a couple of times does the cookie get sent, the rest of the time it’s blank.

I’m at a loss to explain this and any help would be much appreciated as we’re struggling here! Any more info I can give you just let me know.

Thanks in advance.

0 Upvotes
Craig
Top Contributor

OK so I was overlooking the fact that the iframe won’t have the cookie, until next page load.

So…I’ve hidden a 2nd iframe within the main app iframe which checks for HubSpot cookie, if it’s not there it refreshes until it is - it’s invisible and does nothing else so nobody will know. This now seems to be working.

However, I’m thinking what if somebody already has a HS cookie, but haven’t yet converted. The tracking code within the app iframe will, presumably, generate a new HS cookie? So when they convert, previous data isn’t going to be associated with the new contact, am I correct @zwolfson?

So only way now would be to host the iframe on the same domain or subdomain so that the original cookie is shared with the inner iframes???

0 Upvotes
zwolfson
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Hey @craigivemy,

I’m glad you got that part working, one alternative approach that sprang to mind as I read this was to load your iframe via a js embed code. That way you can load it programmatically and include the parent page’s hubspotutk value without a refreshing iframe. I haven’t tested that but just a thought.

If you want to, you can essentially ignore the information from the tracking code inside the iframe. When you send the information to HubSpot about that form submission you’ll use the cookie from the parent page (to make sure we capture the true original source). You are correct that the tracking code inside the iframe will drop a new cookie, however if you never associate that contact record with that cookie (what a form submission does and how we get the original source for each contact). If you want to associate both cookies with the same person, you could use our Tracking Code API (Identify Method) or use another Form Submission to do so. You might want to do this if someone could visit other pages where this multipart form is hosted and you want to know they are same person. To determine the original source, HubSpot will use the first known visit time of any of the cookies associated to that contact, which in this case (if I understand this correctly) should be the parent page domain.

However to keep things simple for now, you might just want to ignore the cookie value from the iframe and just focus on the one dropped by the tracking code on the parent page.

-Zack

0 Upvotes