APIs & Integrations

mcmillansp

Missing Fields in Contact Properties

SOLVE

I am receiving webhook posts from specific forms in Hubspot. In order to make sure I am parsing and processing all properties - I am hitting the contact/properties API before processing the Webhook transactions. In theory - all fields in the properties node in the webhook transaction should be defined (I would think).

Past 2 weeks - I am getting fields that are not in the properties API. 2 this morning were "sequence_" and "subscriber_source_code_promo_code". My client does not seem to recognize these. How can a field be in the properties of a contact but not be defined? Do you have hidden fields? Does a field remain in a contact if it is deleted?

I can provide you the VID of a record that is having this issue if you wish to research.

Since I am assuming all fields in properties have been created in my local table it is causing my code to break.

Thanks

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
IsaacTakushi
Solution
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hi, @mcmillansp.

Apologies for the delayed response.

To clarify, are you receiving contact data from a workflow webhook POST action, where the workflow is triggered by a specific form submission? I ask because neither Webhook API subscription notifications nor workflow webhook actions can be triggered directly by form submission events.

Assuming you are referring to workflow webhook actions sending a contact's JSON data to an external URL, then your question seems similar to the one asked in this post. Said differently, I believe you are asking why you are seeing properties in a contact's JSON which are not returned by the Get all contacts properties endpoint. Is that accurate?

If so, I've been able to reproduce this behavior in my own account, so it does seem that properties with known values remain in contact record JSON data even after the property is deleted.

I will look into what we can do to make Contact Properties API responses more consistent with the data stored on contact records, however I can't promise any changes in the immediate future.

That said, it is currently safe to assume that any property which appears in a contact's JSON but is not listed by the Get all contacts properties endpoint has been deleted.

An alternative to parsing through a workflow webhook's POST payload is to poll this new endoint for only the fields submitted on a given form. I have a limited understanding of your use case, but this approach may simplify matters on your end.

Isaac Takushi

Associate Certification Manager

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
2 Replies 2
IsaacTakushi
Solution
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hi, @mcmillansp.

Apologies for the delayed response.

To clarify, are you receiving contact data from a workflow webhook POST action, where the workflow is triggered by a specific form submission? I ask because neither Webhook API subscription notifications nor workflow webhook actions can be triggered directly by form submission events.

Assuming you are referring to workflow webhook actions sending a contact's JSON data to an external URL, then your question seems similar to the one asked in this post. Said differently, I believe you are asking why you are seeing properties in a contact's JSON which are not returned by the Get all contacts properties endpoint. Is that accurate?

If so, I've been able to reproduce this behavior in my own account, so it does seem that properties with known values remain in contact record JSON data even after the property is deleted.

I will look into what we can do to make Contact Properties API responses more consistent with the data stored on contact records, however I can't promise any changes in the immediate future.

That said, it is currently safe to assume that any property which appears in a contact's JSON but is not listed by the Get all contacts properties endpoint has been deleted.

An alternative to parsing through a workflow webhook's POST payload is to poll this new endoint for only the fields submitted on a given form. I have a limited understanding of your use case, but this approach may simplify matters on your end.

Isaac Takushi

Associate Certification Manager
0 Upvotes
mcmillansp

SOLVE

Hello Isaac;

Correct - we are receiving a webhook post from a workflow when a specific from is filled out. We are receiving some fields on some customer records that do not seem to exist. I had speculated that they are deleted fields (which is why they do not exist in the properties schema) - but the data still exists in the customer properties.

I can work around it for now - just wanted to clarify what I thought was happening.

Thanks for the information and response.