APIs & Integrations

SegevPPC

Integrating Live Chat so it recognizes the contacts

SOLVE

Hey,

A bit of context about the situation:

I have a SaaS tool and we offer everyone 14 days. They get access to dashboard (only accessible by trialling users / paying clients). I want to integrate Hubspot Live Chat as a support live chat tool.

Live chat setup currently looks like:

Hubspot Live Chat.png

The problem:

When integrating Hubspot's main JS snippet (found in Settings>Reports) the live chat doesn't seem to pick up on who's user is contacting him without asking for the name as a method to assign it to a contact.

Any user that will use Hubspot's chat function will be a user that has a contact already, and that contact is logged to the dashboard - how do I make it so Hubspot Live Chat will detect the user? is there any deeper integration that can be used to maybe pass these values as soon as a chat session starts?

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
Willson
Solution
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hi @SegevPPC 

This is quite a heavily discussed topic on our Dev Forums. Currently, the methods used for this are:

1. identify
  2. trackPageView
  3. HubSpotConversations.widget.refresh()

However, even with the use of these methods, we are still seeing some chats come in as "Unknown Visitors," I can confirm that it is currently expected behavior.

A member of our Team, Isaac goes into some great detail on this topic in another thread which is found here:

https://community.hubspot.com/t5/APIs-Integrations/Identify-a-contact-in-a-chat-widget/m-p/272410

I'd recommend taking a read through this to familiarise yourself with this process and the current expected results. 

I hope this helps!

Product Manager @ HubSpot

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1
Willson
Solution
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hi @SegevPPC 

This is quite a heavily discussed topic on our Dev Forums. Currently, the methods used for this are:

1. identify
  2. trackPageView
  3. HubSpotConversations.widget.refresh()

However, even with the use of these methods, we are still seeing some chats come in as "Unknown Visitors," I can confirm that it is currently expected behavior.

A member of our Team, Isaac goes into some great detail on this topic in another thread which is found here:

https://community.hubspot.com/t5/APIs-Integrations/Identify-a-contact-in-a-chat-widget/m-p/272410

I'd recommend taking a read through this to familiarise yourself with this process and the current expected results. 

I hope this helps!

Product Manager @ HubSpot