APIs & Integrations

lloydsilver
Mitglied

Include form fields as redirect URL parameters on an embedded form

lösung

I need to embed a HS form on an external (not CoS) website. And when the user submits the form, the redirect URL needs to include form fields as parameters.

Is this possible?

We figured out a way of doing this on a CoS landing page using a native HS form, but it was pretty tricky. In this case, I need to embed the form on an external page rather than use a CoS page.

What I’m trying to accomplish is capture the lead’s info (name, company, email) and then pass that info off to a scheduling app which can use parameters to pre-fill a scheduling form so the user doesn’t have to re-enter their info. And I want to do it through a HS form first so that we capture the lead and source information in HS. If we did it straight in the scheduling app then we could create a lead using Zapier but without Source info.

Every other form app I’ve used has been able to do this. Still surprised HS can’t do it off the shelf. But I hope someone has a creative workaround. Thanks.

3 Akzeptierte Lösungen
derekcavaliero
Lösung
Stratege/Strategin | Diamond Partner

lösung

You could achieve this by using the onFormSubmit callback and switching the form to use an inline message instead of a redirect (explained below).

hbspt.forms.create({
    portalId: 'xxxxxxxx',
    formId: 'xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx',
    inlineMessage: 'Your submit message here',
    onFormSubmit: function($form){
        setTimeout( function() {
            var formData = $form.serialize();
            window.location = "http://www.yoururl.com?" + formData;
        }, 250 ); // Redirects to url with query string data from form fields after 250 milliseconds.
    }
});

Because you have access to the jQuery $form object inside the onFormSubmit listener you can serialize the forms data and append it to a url to redirect to after the form is submitted. This only works if you have the inlineMessage set and disable the redirectUrl for the form.

See if that helps you out.

Derek Cavaliero
Director of Engineering

WebMechanix
www.webmechanix.com

Lösung in ursprünglichem Beitrag anzeigen

derekcavaliero
Lösung

lösung

@Albo 

Try setting your setTimeout to something higher than 100 milliseconds and see if that helps. I haven't had or seen this issue before - and in theory it shouldn't because the onFormSubmit is processed after the form is validated and request is sent. 

My theory is that if you redirect too quickly it may terminate the XHR request over to HubSpot's servers. I haven't actually tested this issue myself yet though - let me know what you find.

Derek Cavaliero
Director of Engineering

WebMechanix
www.webmechanix.com

Teun
Lösung
Trendsetter/-in | Diamond Partner
Trendsetter/-in | Diamond Partner

lösung

For anyone searching for a solution where you can use the redirect settings from the form:

window.addEventListener('message', event => {
    if (event.data.type === 'hsFormCallback' && event.data.eventName === 'onFormSubmitted') {
      const input = document.querySelector('select[name="input_name"]');
      const context = document.querySelector('input[name="hs_context"]');
      const contextObject = JSON.parse(context.value);
      const redirectUrl = contextObject.redirectUrl; // Retrieve the redirectUrl from the form settings

if (input) {
        if (input.value && redirectUrl) {
          window.location.href = redirectUrl + `?input_name=${input.value}`;
        }
      }
    }
  });

Learn more about HubSpot by following me on LinkedIn or YouTube

Did my answer solve your issue? Help the community by marking it as the solution.

45 Antworten
juusui
Teilnehmer/-in

lösung

This absolutely was a great solution for me. I was trying to redirect to different thank you pages based on a <select> choice but the browser was not accepting "onFormSubmit". I think there was a conflict on the page. Pulling the logic out of the JS that writes the form to the page is key. I replaced '$' with 'jQuery' to avoid conflicts and - voila - it worked. Thanks!

0 Upvotes
seanm914
Teilnehmer/-in

lösung

Hi @Sheamus  - can you walk me through how you implemented this ?

0 Upvotes
derekcavaliero

lösung

@john_ascend @Trevor_Hatfield

Happy to help!

One thing I did not mention in my solution was to make 100% sure that you exclude any PII in the form data from being collected by Google Analytics.

Since we're talking about appending the data to the URL via a query string - GA will automatically capture that data inside its pageview reports. This means you'll likely need to add some custom logic around your tracking to make sure you adhere to the GA terms of use regarding collection of PII.

If you're using GTM (Google Tag Manager) to implement your web tracking (if you aren't I highly suggest you investigate) - this article is a great resource for understanding how to exclude data from being collected:

#GTMTips: Remove PII From Google Analytics Hits

Use customTask to automatically strip all personally identifiable information (PII) from requests sent to Google Analytics from your website.

Derek Cavaliero
Director of Engineering

WebMechanix
www.webmechanix.com
Jeromecollomb1
Mitglied

lösung

Hi @Lloyd_Silver,

I'm having the same issue, but on a COS landing page.
As you've apparently solved it before, any chance you can share the solution here?

Thanks a lot!

0 Upvotes
John
Stratege/Strategin | Platinum Partner

lösung

Hey @Jeromecollomb, I know it's been a while since you asked your question, but I just posted an answer to another question that might help you out.

@derekcavaliero you are the man. This answer saved me a lot of time!

I like kudos almost as much as cake – a close second.

dimitreliasb
Mitwirkender/Mitwirkende

lösung

Hi @John  I came across this thread and we are having a very similar issue. I am passing just the email parameter to test from a hubspot form to a wordpress page (that includes the HubSpot tracking cod) . First line is the parameter they way i have it in the redirect and then the second is how it actually comes out. Any suggestions?

?email={{contact.email}}
email=%7B%7Bcontact.email%7D%7D

Basically I am trying to follor the directions in this article  but it does not seem to pass the parameter.

0 Upvotes
John

lösung

well i'm years late (never saw this reply). The issue was that you were going from wordpress to hubspot and my solution only worked on a hubspot page

I like kudos almost as much as cake – a close second.

0 Upvotes
bryansteel
Teilnehmer/-in

lösung

YOU REALLY ARE THE MAN!@!!! This is it. 

robertainslie
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

lösung

Hi @Lloyd_Silver,
Another way to do this is by re-running the hbspt.forms.create method of the embed code on change to each field and recreating the redirectUrl, appending each field. This changes the context and rebuilds the form on each call. @derekcavaliero 's method is probably better, but there are multiple ways to proceed.

That method looks like this:

hbspt.forms.create({
portalId: ‘[hub_id]’,
formId: ‘[form_guid]’,
redirectUrl:‘https://www.domain.com/page’,
target:’#target-node-for-form-build
});

In your JS, recall that entire method on change to each field, creating a redirectUrl like:
redirectUrl:‘https://www.domain.com/page?firstname=Lloyd’. Be sure to include the ‘target’ node so the embed code knows where to rebuilt the form each time.

Gthn
Teilnehmer/-in

lösung

Hi,

I've the same issue as the same @lloydsilver . The thing is I want to redirect users to a dynamic URL which already includes a "?".

Basically I want our users to fill a form with their website as one property to be redirected to a URL which include their website.

So if I a fill a form putting: http://www.mywebsite.com

People would be redirected to the following URL http://www.domain.com/simulate.php?url=http://www.mywebsite.com

1. I'm not sure to really understand how to use target:’#target-node-for-form-build’

2. I tried the dynamic query string (as i saw in HS knowledge) but it didn't work neither and i've the feeling it's because of the "?" which is inside the URL.

3. I tried the @derekcavaliero method but i didn't get how to use  window.location = "http://www.yoururl.com?" + formData;

Thanks in advance for your help

0 Upvotes
IsaacTakushi
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

lösung

Hi, @Gthn.

Let's continue the conversation in this thread.

Isaac Takushi

Associate Certification Manager
0 Upvotes
derekcavaliero
Lösung

lösung

You could achieve this by using the onFormSubmit callback and switching the form to use an inline message instead of a redirect (explained below).

hbspt.forms.create({
    portalId: 'xxxxxxxx',
    formId: 'xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx',
        setTimeout( function() {
            window.location = "http://www.yoururl.com?" + formData;
        }, 250 ); // Redirects to url with query string data from form fields after 250 milliseconds.
    }
});

Because you have access to the jQuery $form object inside the onFormSubmit listener you can serialize the forms data and append it to a url to redirect to after the form is submitted. This only works if you have the inlineMessage set and disable the redirectUrl for the form.

See if that helps you out.

Derek Cavaliero
Director of Engineering

WebMechanix
www.webmechanix.com
AzharBondi
Mitwirkender/Mitwirkende

lösung

Hi @derekcavaliero , 

how can we modify this code within the Hubspot platform please ? 
I would love to apply this redirect behavior to a Hubspot form used within a Hubspot landpage ! 

I tried applying the code on a custom module (module.js) but it doesn't seem to work ! 

Thank you 

0 Upvotes
MDiPronio
Mitglied

lösung

Hi Derek, 

When i embed this code onto my site (after adjusting the code with my portal ID, etc, the form doesn't even appear on my page and I do not receive any error messages. Advice on what I'm doing wrong? 

<script charset="utf-8" type="text/javascript" src="//js.hsforms.net/forms/embed/v2.js"></script>
<script>
hbspt.forms.create({
region: "na1",
portalId: "xxxxxxxxxxxx",
formId: "xxxxxxxxxxxx"

setTimeout( function() {

window.location.replace("http://www.yoururl.com?" + formData);

}

});

</script>

0 Upvotes
Leigh_Oxley
Mitwirkender/Mitwirkende

lösung

Hi @derekcavaliero ! New Hubspot user here, and I'm a bit stuck, but it sounds like this code is pretty much exactly what I need. We're capturing some basic data in a Hubspot form (on a HS landing page) and then would like to redirect to a Calendly booking page with email and name embedded in the URL so Calendly can grab it.

I've tried just setting the form redirect link to be 

https://calendly.com/highwayed/info-session?firstname={{contact.firstname}}&lastname={{contact.lastname}}&email={{contact.email}}

(as this article states) but that doesn't seem to work, so I guess I need your code somewhere... the trouble is, I'm not sure where! Do I need a new custom module to add the javascript to the landing page? Would it go above or below the form itself? 

Appreciate any insight! Thank you for this thread!

0 Upvotes
derekcavaliero

lösung

@Leigh_Oxley 

If you're using a hubspot hosted page with a default HubSpot form module, you'll need to use the global onFormSubmit callback as such:

<script>

function fieldsArrayToObject( fieldsArray ) {

var valueCounter = {};
    var fields = {};

for ( var i = 0; i < fieldsArray.length; i++ ) {

var field = fieldsArray[i];

if ( valueCounter.hasOwnProperty(field.name) ) {
            valueCounter[field.name]++;
        } else {
            valueCounter[field.name] = 1;
        }

}

for ( var i = 0; i < fieldsArray.length; i++ ) {

var field = fieldsArray[i];

if ( !fields.hasOwnProperty(field.name) ) {
            fields[field.name] = (valueCounter[field.name] > 1) ? [] : '';
        }

if ( fields[field.name].constructor === Array ) {
            fields[field.name].push(field.value);
        } else {
            fields[field.name] = field.value;
        }

}

return fields;

}

window.addEventListener('message', function(event) {

if (event.data.type !== 'hsFormCallback') return;

if (event.data.eventName === 'onFormSubmit') {

var fields = fieldsArrayToObject(event.data.data);
        var redirect = 'https://calendly.com/highwayed/info-session?firstname=' + fields.firstname + '&lastname=' + fields.lastname + '&email=' + fields.email;

window.location.href = redirect;

}

});
</script>

A few notes:

• You need to make sure the form module on the page is set to show an inline message and not redirect when submitted. Otherwise this may not function properly
  • There is a utility method/function in the example above that formats the form field data from an array of objects into a single object of key:value pairs which is a much more sensible format (HubSpot doesn't format it this way naturally which is kind of a pain).
  • You would need to add this into the page settings in either the Header or Footer HTML under "Advanced Settings"

That should get you what you need. 

Derek Cavaliero
Director of Engineering

WebMechanix
www.webmechanix.com
jkeough78
Mitwirkender/Mitwirkende | Partner
Mitwirkender/Mitwirkende | Partner

lösung

Hi @derekcavaliero , thank you for helping all of us for 6 YEARS! I put this code into the footer and it seems to work even though I'm not using an inline thanks message. Should I use an inline message anyways just to be safe?

If I don't have to use an inline message then maybe I could update the code to use the form's redirecturl like this?...

var redirect = fields.redirecturl + '?firstname=.....

This would be nice, because then I can simply paste the same code in the footer of all my pages 😀

Thanks, Jim

0 Upvotes
dimitreliasb
Mitwirkender/Mitwirkende

lösung

@derekcavaliero I am trying to get this solution to work. Your snippet has come the closest to solving our issue however what happens with this code it redirects the page to a 404. Basically it pulls ALL the form data i think when we really only need to pull the email

So the URL string is full of parameters and at some point near the end of that screen it breaks the link.

The URL string looks like this:

?firstname=MYNAME&lastname=MYLASTNAME&email=MYEMAIL&company=&number_of_cnc_machines=0&zip=46268&do_you_currently_use_automation=No&hours_per_shift=&shifts_per_weekday=&shifts_per_weekend=&weeks_per_year=&operator_wages_per_hour=&operator_benefit=&system_cost=&hs_context=%7B%22rumScriptExecuteTime%22%3A1019.7899999911897%2C%22rumServiceResponseTime%22%3A1237.7850000048056%2C%22rumFormRenderTime%22%3A3.7949999677948654%2C%22rumTotalRenderTime%22%3A71.98499998776242%2C%22rumTotalRequestTime%22%3A216.79500001482666%2C%22lang%22%3A%22en%22%2C%22disableCookieSubmission%22%3Atrue%2C%22embedAtTimestamp%22%3A%221588874670525%22%2C%22formDefinitionUpdatedAt%22%3A%221588872328355%22%2C%22pageUrl%22%3A%22https%3A%2F%2Fprocobots.com%2Ftester%2F%22%2C%22pageTitle%22%3A%22Tester+-+ProCobots%22%2C%22source%22%3A%22FormsNext-static-3.480%22%2C%22timestamp%22%3A1588874670527%2C%22userAgent%22%3A%22Mozilla%2F5.0+(Windows+NT+10.0%3B+Win64%3B+x64)+AppleWebKit%2F537.36+(KHTML%2C+like+Gecko)+Chrome%2F81.0.4044.138+Safari%2F537.36%22%2C%22referrer%22%3A%22https%3A%2F%2Fprocobots.com%2Fwp-admin%2Fpost.php%3Fpost%3D2280%26action%3Dedit%22%2C%22originalEmbedContext%22%3A%7B%22portalId%22%3A%22209468%22%2C%22formId%22%3A%2296085b29-963b-4ce5-9a65-4f9f3046ee1b%22%2C%22inlineMessage%22%3Atrue%2C%22target%22%3A%22%23hbspt-form-1588874670572-8723872668%22%2C%22hutk%22%3A%22f6a5fcd85d55f675630d59b5873faf7c%22%2C%22shellId%22%3A0%2C%22shell%22%3Atrue%2C%22pageUrl%22%3A%22https%3A%2F%2Fprocobots.com%2Ftester%2F%22%2C%22pageTitle%22%3A%22Tester
0 Upvotes
derekcavaliero

lösung

@dimitreliasb 

If you only need to pass 1 value through - simply dig into the form and get the value manually using the $form jQuery collection parameter in the onFormSubmit callback:

onFormSubmit($form){
  var email = $form.find('input[name="email"]').val();
  var redirectBase = 'https://www.google.com';
  window.location = redirectBase + '?email=' + email;
}

the reason your URL is breaking is because my previous script had a flaw. There are better ways to go about it - but for simple 1 parameter redirect logic - the above is as simple as it gets.

Derek Cavaliero
Director of Engineering

WebMechanix
www.webmechanix.com
Albo
Teilnehmer/-in

lösung

@derekcavaliero 

Can you see any reason why this modifying the HubSpot form embed script this way would interfere with how HubSpot receives the data upon submission?

For whatever reason, when I use this method on a Firefox browser the contact is not passed back to HubSpot. Chrome and Safari both function as intended. The default (non-modified) script works fine in Firefox.  All are standard browsers with default configurations, *not* in incognito.

<!--[if lte IE 8]>
<script charset="utf-8" type="text/javascript" src="//js.hsforms.net/forms/v2-legacy.js"></script>
<![endif]-->
<script charset="utf-8" type="text/javascript" src="//js.hsforms.net/forms/v2.js"></script>
<script>
hbspt.forms.create({
portalId: "xxxxxxxx",
formId: "xxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxx",
inlineMessage: 'Just a moment please',
setTimeout( function() {
var formEmail = $form.find('input[name="email"]').val();
window.location = "https://www.xxxxx.com/xxxx/?email=" + encodeURIComponent( formEmail );
}, 100 ); // Redirects to url with query string data from form fields after 100 milliseconds.
}
});
</script>

Thank you!

0 Upvotes
derekcavaliero
Lösung

lösung

@Albo 

Try setting your setTimeout to something higher than 100 milliseconds and see if that helps. I haven't had or seen this issue before - and in theory it shouldn't because the onFormSubmit is processed after the form is validated and request is sent. 

My theory is that if you redirect too quickly it may terminate the XHR request over to HubSpot's servers. I haven't actually tested this issue myself yet though - let me know what you find.

Derek Cavaliero
Director of Engineering

WebMechanix
www.webmechanix.com