APIs & Integrations

Not applicable

HubDB: orderBy various columns using a select menu

I have a page set up to show results from a HubDB. It is already set up with a select field to filter the results. I'd also like to let the user sort the results by different columns — deadline or scholarship_name.

So far I have the following code, but can't figure out how to attach the selected option to my queryparameter.

Code to capture the user's sort selection:

Featured Deadline Name

Current QueryParameter

{% set queryparam = "" %}
{% if request.query_dict.field_of_study in ["1", "2", "3", "4", "5", "6", "7"] %}
{% set queryparam = queryparam ~ "&field_of_study__contains="~request.query_dict.field_of_study|urlencode %}
{% endif %}

0 Upvotes
6 Replies 6
Not applicable

When I test the orderBy options using the api URL, it works as expected.

If append the orderBy parameter manually using the code below, it works as expected.
{% set queryparam = queryparam ~ "&orderBy=deadline" %}

If I switch back to the original code
{% if request.query_dict.deadline %}
{% set queryparam = queryparam ~ "&orderBy="~request.query_dict.deadline|urlencode %}
{% endif %}
and print the queryparam, it shows all the parameters except for orderBy.

So, it seems that the select menu is not correctly setting the orderBy option.

0 Upvotes
boulter
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

Hi Barbara, you should be able to just tack that onto the end of your query string.

{% set queryparam = queryparam ~ "&field_of_study__contains="~request.query_dict.field_of_study|urlencode ~ "&orderBy=deadline" %}

Does that work?

0 Upvotes
Not applicable

Sorry, I didn't realize the editor stripped out of some my code. The problem is that I want the user to be able to change the sort order using a select menu. So, when the results first display, the are ordered naturally, but the user can change the option and have them re-sort by date.

Here is the code I'm using for the select menu:

<div class="span6 text-right"> 
    Sort by: 
<select class="sortorder" name="orderBy" form="form_id">
    <option selected="selected" value="featured">Featured</option>
    {% set deadline = hubdb_table_column(677507, "deadline") %}
    {% for choice in deadline %}
        {% if choice.name == request.query_dict.deadline%}
            <option selected="selected" value="{{ choice.name }}">{{ choice.name }}</option>
        {% else %}
            <option value="{{ choice.name }}">{{ choice.name }}</option>
        {% endif %}
    {% endfor %}
</select>
</div>

And here is the code I'm using to try and add the orderBy selection to the query parameter:

{% if request.query_dict.deadline %}
        {% set queryparam = queryparam ~ "&orderBy="~request.query_dict.deadline|urlencode %}
        {% endif %}
0 Upvotes
boulter
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

Hmm, I think what you're trying to do is order by a particular value of a column. What's possible is ordering by all values of the column.

The value of the orderBy parameter is simply the name of a column in the table which can be prefixed with '-' for a reverse order.

Am I understanding this correctly? If not, what are the names of the choices in the "deadline" column?

0 Upvotes
Not applicable

I'm trying to use the titles of the columns to alter the orderBy parameter. So, I have a column named "deadline" and a column named "scholarship_names".

Ideally, when the page loads the table items would load with the default sort order — I'm calling this "featured". Then, when the user chooses a selection from the menu, the items would sort by either "deadline" or "scholarship_names".

I set up my example code with just the "deadline" option for simplicity's sake.

0 Upvotes
boulter
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

If the names in your select field match your column names, then this should work. You can verify the results by using the same parameters on a request to the HubDB API like

https://api.hubapi.com/hubdb/api/v1/tables<YOUR_TABLE_ID>/rows?portalId=<YOUR_PORTAL_ID>&orderBy=deadline

If that works, but your page does not, then I find it's helpful to confirm the constructed query matches what I intended by printing out the queryparam in the page.

0 Upvotes