APIs & Integrations

mirkoc
Participant

How to populate Original Source Type with a custom value

SOLVE

Hi,

I was wondering is there a way (and how) to set `Original Source Type` for a company to a custom value. We have an integration with Hubspot CRM and would like to mark companies created or connected via our app that they originated there.

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
cbarley
Solution
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

SOLVE

Hi @mirkoc , I have to apologize to you, as my last response is incorrect. The original source properties do not get populated until a contact is associated with it. Per our knowledge docs: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/articles/kcs_article/companies/hubspot-crm-default-company-properties

• Original source data 1: information about the original source of the contact with the earliest activity for this company.
  • Original source data 2: additional information about the original source of the contact with the earliest activity for this company.
  • Original source: the source (Organic search, Paid search, Email marketing, Social media, Referrals, Other campaigns, Direct traffic, or Offline sources) for the contact with the earliest activity for this company.

This property is filled in via an associated contact's engagement, rather than on the company when you make a request with a token. So sorry for the confusion!

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
cbarley
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

SOLVE

Hi @mirkoc , It's not possible to provide custom values for the original source property. That said, if a contact, for example, is created using a token from your app, in the drilldown-2 property, you'll see your app name on the contact. 

I just tested this in my own account and can see this OAuth created contact has the app name in the original-source-drilldown-2 property.

http://prntscr.com/mhhk0l

mirkoc
Participant

SOLVE

Hey,

thanks for the answer, but I think I haven't explained properly what I'm trying to achieve. I was talking about creating a `Company record` via the server-side API and not with any sort of web analytics tracking or something like that.

0 Upvotes
cbarley
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

SOLVE

Hi @mirkoc , the drilldown properties are not editable directly by default, but my answer stands for companies as well. If you create an app and use Oauth to validate your requests to HubSpot instead of an API key, the drilldown properties will reflect your Application's name. That's the only way to get those fields to do exactly what you'd want with them.

0 Upvotes
mirkoc
Participant

SOLVE

Ok, thanks.

We do use oAuth but that field does not get populated with anything. I will look more and then post here again if I manage to resolve it.

0 Upvotes
cbarley
Solution
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

SOLVE

Hi @mirkoc , I have to apologize to you, as my last response is incorrect. The original source properties do not get populated until a contact is associated with it. Per our knowledge docs: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/articles/kcs_article/companies/hubspot-crm-default-company-properties

• Original source data 1: information about the original source of the contact with the earliest activity for this company.
  • Original source data 2: additional information about the original source of the contact with the earliest activity for this company.
  • Original source: the source (Organic search, Paid search, Email marketing, Social media, Referrals, Other campaigns, Direct traffic, or Offline sources) for the contact with the earliest activity for this company.

This property is filled in via an associated contact's engagement, rather than on the company when you make a request with a token. So sorry for the confusion!