APIs & Integrations

jackcoldrick
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

How to implement Webhooks in HubSpot, and how do they differ from an API?

HubSpot provides a number of different APIs and in addition to that we also offer the option of leveraging webhooks. This post discusses this in more detail and also elaborates on different methods of implementation. You can learn more about how that in this video I recorded

The key difference is that with an API request you are proactively "requesting" information from the system. This may not be required as the data may not have changed since your last request and may not be the most efficient use of your call limit. With a webhook on the other hand you are notified by the system as soon as the data changes without having to continually make API requests. Within HubSpot we have a few ways to use webhooks.

Here is a diagram highlighting the general differences. Notice how with an API we continually make requests despite the data never changing. With a webhook we simply tell the server once to let us know if something happens:

webhook vs api.png

As mentioned you can achieve this in a variety of ways within HubSpot. I've broken them down in more detail below. Each have different use cases, strengths and weaknesses so it's important to qualify in more detail to ensure you know what to position/recommend.

1) Webhooks API: Free and up
This involves setting up an app and subscribing to various events occurring in any portal that your app is installed. Events include Contact, Company and Deal creation, deletions and property updates. The drawback to this is that it doesn't support Ticket objects. The major advantage is that it's lightweight and easy to setup. An example of the payload can be found here. More information on our Webhooks API can be found in our developer documentation.

2) Workflow Extensions API: Marketing Pro and up
This can only be used in contact based workflows. The big advantage is that it lets you customize the payload you wish to send to your webhook URL which makes things easier for your development team to process. It's also much more user friendly for the marketing team who are creating workflows. The big limitation is that it's only usable in Contact workflows (although there are plans to extend this to other types of workflow in the future). An example of the payload can be found here. More information on the workflow extensions API can be found in our developer documentation.

3) Workflow/Bot Webhook Action: Operations Hub Professional only
This can be used in all workflows namely Contact, Company, Deal, Ticket and Quote and/or Bot. HubSpot will post all of the object data to the webhook URL. There is no option to customize the payload. The advantage is that you can leverage it in all workflows. An example of the payload can be found here, More information on using the webhook action in a workflow can be found in our developer documentation. Information on using workflows in bots can be found here

The analogy I like to use is that imagine you have a friend you continually text asking when they're having a party (API request). Every time they respond with the same answer... No. So instead you tell your friend once to simply notify you when they're having a party (Webhook) so you don't have to keep texting them.

If you've any questions at all please do not hesitate to leave a comment below. Alternatively check out this video where I walk through all of the above.
Jack Coldrick
Solutions Engineer @ HubSpot
Add me on LinkedIn
29件の返信
nsullivan
メンバー

I see what you're saying. I was hoping to be able to use the workflow function of Hubspot. This would be so when a deal is closed won we could trigger a webhook to sync that record to the financial system.Screen Shot 2020-07-24 at 8.23.43 AM.png

Unmatched
参加者

Hey @nsullivan, you may like to use Hooked for this.

0 いいね!
jackcoldrick
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Hey @nsullivan

Thanks for confirming! So that functionality (trigger a webhook action) is exclusive to portals with an Enterprise subscription, more information here

Having said that if you're just looking to explore/create an integration that you intend to use in other enterprise portals (not necessarily that one) perhaps, you could create a test account from a developer portal. That comes equipped with Developer edition Marketing, Sales and Service Hub. So you'd be able to utilize that functionality.

If that is not the case and upgrading to enterprise isn't an option (which I completely understand and not suggesting you do!) we are working on extending the functionality of the workflow extension API across all object type workflows. Right now it's only supported in contact workflows but available on Professional. The only real difference is that you customize the payload vs the webhook action which sends EVERYTHING to the webhook URL. I can't share specific dates in terms of ETAs but we're actively working on this at present and should solve for this type of problem.

Hope this helps,

Jack

Jack Coldrick
Add me on LinkedIn
0 いいね!
nsullivan
メンバー

I created a new one and it has webhooks enabled, but it appears that this older one (the one that has the integration already connected to) is downgraded to a lower edition.

Here is the ID: 6301943

Is it possible to upgrade that one to the higher edition so I don't have to rebuild the integration?

0 いいね!
jackcoldrick
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Hi @nsullivan we can certainly upgrade a PRO portal to ENT license but it will involve having a conversation with your account manager and there may be quite a jump in price. Is there anyone you've conversed with prior to purchasing HubSpot? This would be the best channel as I'm honestly not the best resource for this.

Jack Coldrick
Add me on LinkedIn
0 いいね!
nsullivan
メンバー

I'm only talking about my Developer Box like you had mentioned earlier. I have a developer box with an integration built in order to demo to clients wanting the hubspot integration. It used to be an ENT developer box and I was using webhooks to call out to my application. It has since been downgraded to a pro, and we are no longer able to use the webhook feature. 

I was hoping to upgrade the developer box back to the ENT so we could continue demo-ing our integration to Hubspot customers. We are not hubspot customers, we just build integrations between hubspot and other systems.

0 いいね!
jackcoldrick
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Hey @nsullivan,

Got ya, sorry for confusion thats crystal clear now. Ok, I've taken a look and it seems as though a Sales Pro trial was added to the account on May 18 which can cause scoping issues and basically downgrades the portal. I've just flagged issue with team on my end and we'll work to revert this for you. I'll post back as soon as I've an update. 

Thanks,

Jack

Jack Coldrick
Add me on LinkedIn
0 いいね!
nsullivan
メンバー

Gotcha, that was a colleague of mine. Thank you for your help!

JessicaH
元HubSpot社員
元HubSpot社員

Thanks for sharing this @jackcoldrick

Wusstest du, dass es auch eine DACH-Community gibt?
Nimm an regionalen Unterhaltungen teil, in dem du deine Spracheinstellungen änderst !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

0 いいね!