Lukasz

1 Accepted solution
tilly
Solution
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

How to identify a contact in the chat?

SOLVE

The Visitor Identification API is now in public beta! You can read more about it and get started here. This is open to all Pro+ portals as of now, no need to be ungated. 

The new Visitor Identification API enables you to provide details about visitors' identities to the chat widget after they've been authenticated by an external login system. So, if a visitor logs in (by providing their email address), the Visitor Identification API can send their identity to HubSpot's chat widget.

This API also works automatically with HubSpot's private content membership for CMS Hub or Knowledge Base, no additional setup required!

Please let me know if you have any questions or feedback. This API is still in beta, by using this API you agree to our developer beta terms.

View solution in original post

116 Replies 116
cl77
Participant

SOLVE

It seems the visitor identification API does only create a contact, when the customer sends a chat message. Is this the intended behaviour?

We're sending email, firstName, lastName to get a token. Contacts should be created then if not stored at HS. 

0 Upvotes
tilly
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

SOLVE

Hi @cl77 -- That is correct, the Visitor Identification API only creates a contact if and when they initiate a chat.

To make sure I understand your use case and needs, what is your expectation for this API? How are you currently using it? Thanks!

0 Upvotes
avichopra
Contributor | Platinum Partner

SOLVE

Hello Hubspot team,

The whole visitor identification doesn't work whenever the chat is loaded on the knowledge base. Because the knowledge base is opened from our mobile app, even though we know the email the chat is not able to identify the visitor. 

Please let us know the solution for this.

NOTE: This must be happening because on the knowledge base loaded by Hubspot instantly loads up the chat.

0 Upvotes
avichopra

SOLVE

This request has been pending for 2 years and still no solution. This platform is almost useless to request anything. 

mercadoradar
Participant

SOLVE

I'm having the same here.

var _hsq = (window._hsq = window._hsq || []);
        _hsq.push(["identify",
          {
email: this.$store.getters.user.email, external_account_id: this.$store.getters.user.account.id, external_contact_id: this.$store.getters.user.id, firstname: this.$store.getters.user.first_name, lastname: this.$store.getters.user.last_name, phone: this.$store.getters.user.phone } ]);

0 Upvotes
IsaacTakushi
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hi, @mercadoradar.

Thanks for sharing your script.

Are you triggering trackPageView, and HubSpotConversations.widget.refresh() after all of that?

Per the current solutions, this method will not work 100% of the time (some visitors will still show up as "Unknown Visitors," but it should work a good portion of the time if implemented as documented here.

Isaac Takushi

Associate Certification Manager
0 Upvotes
hostimi
Participant

SOLVE

@IsaacTakushi

Solution suggested by @mercadoradar has 2 problems:

1. It creates customer in HubSpot (which is not always wanted)

2. As you mentioned - it doesn't work 100% times (and I could say, that for us it works only for 10% cases... I don't know why)

0 Upvotes
cdewey22
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

SOLVE

Hi all- As @IsaacTakushi mentioned this is something my team is working on right now and is a top priority for my team to deliver this functionality to you all. 

I would love some help with the naming of this feature. If you could complete this very short survey that would help us to determine a name that works best for this functionality. Thanks so much in advance for your help with this! 

Survey link: https://www.research.net/r/SMD7N6H

phickling
Participant

SOLVE

Shouldn't the "Identify" method just update both cookies and identify the user across all services? As a dev you would expect to call "Identify" and for hubspot to stitch all the data associated with that session to the user in question, rather than having to do one thing for analytics and one thing for the chat.

0 Upvotes
rowanskye
Participant

SOLVE

Has there been any update on this?

cdewey22
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

SOLVE

We are very close to finishing development! We are working on getting feedback on our API documentation now from a handful of customers and shooting to have the public beta at the end of this month/beginning of July.  As soon as I have more details, I will post a form here to get everyone interested in the beta release! 

Thank you, 

Cassie

prafful54

SOLVE

Commenting here to get updates on this feature. We have been suffering in our CS department because of unknown visitors. Please update asap.

cdewey22
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

SOLVE

Hi all- I am going to include our beta form here so you can submit your information for beta access. We will reach out with the next steps once we are closer to the public beta in the next few weeks!

Thank you, 

Cassie

gugahoi
Participant

SOLVE

Any updates on the beta? I signed up but havent heard anything back yet.

tilly
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

SOLVE

Hi @gugahoi! The beta is still very small and will be opening up over the coming weeks. We expect to reach out to those who submitted the form at some point in July, so look for an email from us then!

As a note: This API will be available to Pro+ subscriptions across all Hubs (Service, Marketing, Sales, CMS). 

Please let me know if there are any other questions!

0 Upvotes
vruben
Participant

SOLVE

@tilly July is almost over, do you have any updates here? We submitted the form long time ago but have not heard back from you yet. Thanks

0 Upvotes
tilly
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

SOLVE

@vruben -- Thank you for checking in! Hoping to have an update for you all very soon. Keep an eye out for a product notification, and I will make sure to post a note here as well. 

0 Upvotes
justindocanto

SOLVE

If it's possible to answer, are we talking days or weeks? We migrated to hubspot thinking the chat would be a great replacement of Intercom and are now regretting that. Chats are coming in from people without proper labeling, as you know. And every day we dont have this, it causes issues.

So if its days, I'll gladly wait. If it's weeks, then ill need to switch for the time being.

Thanks

0 Upvotes
taiwan99
Participant

SOLVE

When will it be released?

0 Upvotes
abc66a

SOLVE

Is there any progress?

0 Upvotes
jpw_andy
Participant

SOLVE

My company is testing out Hubspot. We want to use live chat in our company intranet. This would be a valuable feature for us!

I don't think we have the Pro+ plan.

0 Upvotes