Lukasz

1 Accepted solution
tilly
Solution
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

How to identify a contact in the chat?

SOLVE

The Visitor Identification API is now in public beta! You can read more about it and get started here. This is open to all Pro+ portals as of now, no need to be ungated. 

The new Visitor Identification API enables you to provide details about visitors' identities to the chat widget after they've been authenticated by an external login system. So, if a visitor logs in (by providing their email address), the Visitor Identification API can send their identity to HubSpot's chat widget.

This API also works automatically with HubSpot's private content membership for CMS Hub or Knowledge Base, no additional setup required!

Please let me know if you have any questions or feedback. This API is still in beta, by using this API you agree to our developer beta terms.

View solution in original post

116 Replies 116
avichopra
Contributor | Platinum Partner
Contributor | Platinum Partner

SOLVE

Is there an update on the solution for this? We have been waiting for this for really long time now.

IsaacTakushi
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hi, @avichopra.

Please see @cdewey22's latest post from Friday, 14 February 2020.

Isaac Takushi

Associate Certification Manager
finn
Top Contributor

SOLVE

It was supposed to come last year, then early in the year, then late Q1/start Q2. We are now way into Q2 and still nothing. 

This is critical functionality that severely limits the value of a module that we PAY for. For SaaS companies it makes no sense to ask an already logged-in user "who are you" when they start a chat. We already know who they are, but cannot pass it to Hubspot's chat widget.

We need this now. Hubspot team: updates, please!

sp3
Participant

SOLVE

Q1 is behind us, Q2 is starting when can we expect more concrete answer?

We managed to minimize unknown user issues by refreshing the chat and using workarounds, we invested a lot of additional time of our developer into this... On the other hand this approach generated another set of new issues like disappearing chat during writing etc.

We're really waiting in much pain for this release, and our CX is constantly suffering.

Teresa1

SOLVE

Hi,

We are able to use the identity method to recognize users. But on our platform, we also allow registration using phone numbers. In that case, could we recognize users by capturing their phone numbers? Currently, we have tried but found no solution.

Can anyone please help? Thanks so much.

0 Upvotes
IsaacTakushi
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hi, @Teresa1.

The Tracking Code API's identify method only works with email addresses (and external id values, with some caveats), so there is no way to identify a visitor or user with client-side code.

That said, you could write client-side JavaScript to pass a phone number to a backend function which searches for matching contacts using the new v3 CRM Search API. Your server could then pass this back to your application's front end.

Isaac Takushi

0 Upvotes
jmorgan
Participant

SOLVE

Can we get a update on the release of this as it is stopping us from using HubSpot chat.

IsaacTakushi
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Welcome, @jmorgan.

Please see @cdewey22's post from earlier today.

Isaac Takushi

0 Upvotes
finn
Top Contributor

SOLVE

Is there any news on this?

It is critical for our decision as to whether to choose Hubspot or Zendesk (who seems to have been able to do this for years). 

cdewey22
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

SOLVE

Hi- This is currently in development. We are shooting to have this out in beta by the end of Q1-2020/beginning of Q2-2020. I will reach out for beta requests when we get closer to this being released. 

Thank you for your patience! 

Cassie

jmorgan
Participant

SOLVE

Any update?

0 Upvotes
aghost

SOLVE

+1 on joining the beta.

0 Upvotes
akattunga
Participant

SOLVE

Hi, 

Any news on this issue?

We are trying to move from our CRM to hubspot but this issue stop us from migrate live chats from tawk.to to hubspost.

Regards

finn
Top Contributor

SOLVE

If this is coming in a beta in Q2, then presumably it is not solved yet...

@cdewey22 : is there any update on the exact timing of the beta release?

As for many of the other co-posters, this is critical for us as a SaaS company: we cannot ask our already logged-in users, "who are you?" when they start a chat. We must be able to pass at least the logged-in user's email to the chat widget.

thanks

Witoomards
Participant

SOLVE

Thanks a lot for the information on drinks. will be waiting for any further updates

0 Upvotes
vruben
Participant

SOLVE

It's really terrible that we still do not have any solution here. It is one of the basics, which prevents us from switching from Intercom. Do you have any ETA when it's going to be fixed? 

cdewey22
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

SOLVE

This is one of our top priorities for the beginning half of 2020. I should have a better idea of the timeframe in January and will update this thread and post details for a beta as well. 

Thank you and looking forward to communicating an update in January. 

Cassie

Seth_Israel
Contributor

SOLVE

We would love to be added to the Beta. We are going to provide our engineering team with the accepted solution to see if it improves but this issue is a serious detriment to our member's experience. Please let us know right away when an update occurs or a Beta is open. We have subscribed to the release notifications.

We need this yesterday, and this whole topic would be great for your frontline team and integration teams to know about. After all our contacts this has not been brought to our attention and we found this from our own searches.

0 Upvotes
tbrito85
Participant

SOLVE

Hello @cdewey22  do you have any news?

Thanks in advance,

cdewey22
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

SOLVE

Hi there! 

We will be working on this in the first quarter. I don't have an exact timeline yet but we will be kicking it off in the next month. I will update here once I have a more definitive timeline for when we expect this to be in beta. I will also make sure we get a form for beta requests here once we get closer to that date. 

Thank you! 

Cassie

Ferdy

SOLVE

Can you tell me if this works by simply allowing to add an email/identifier to the Chat functionality or will we have to rely on the tracking functionality? We really want this to work without having to use tracking.

0 Upvotes