APIs & Integrations

me2019
Participant

How to create recent blog post "widget" on non-Hubspot root domain?

Hi,

I am not a developer - I am more or less asking this on behalf of the tech lead for our main domain that is not hosted on Hubspot. My lack of knowledge here may make me un-helpable! 

We would like to be able to pull blog post information and show it on our website as a kind of widget (that we basically never touch or interact with). We originally had some code written in XML by a freelancer, but we were told that Javascript is better and we were looking to update the code. Our tech person wanted to take that on, but we found out that Hubspot doesn't allow AJAX requests.

It would be outside of our tech person's scope to spin up a server/use something like Node, which seems to be the only option? 

I'm very confused about what's "allowed" by Hubspot and I couldn't figure out how to phrase this issue for google, so here I am. I don't know if you can offer me any clarity or other potential resources. Sticking with the XML is okay but as best as we could tell, it's pulling from the RSS feed, and for some reason that means the featured images are hard coded at 50% width. This is what sparked this Javascript attempt.

I can provide the link to our main website if that would help. Here is a screenshot of the current XML widget:
Screenshot 2020-05-05 14.35.12.png

If I'm too far out of my depth that's fine, I just wanted to check if anyone had solved this problem or written code for something like this before. Thanks!
0 Upvotes
2 Replies 2
Willson
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Hey @me2019,

As you're looking to design this widget on an external site, we cannot use our HubSpot widget code which is designed primarily with HubL. So, a recommendation would be to design the widget itself externally with the likes of HTML, CSS etc. to your requirements and then you can work with our Blogs RSS feed tool to import the latest posts. 

You can head over to here for a look at our resource on accessing your blogs RSS feed, with this, you'll be able to use this on the external site to show the latest posts for this blog. 

I hope this helps!

Product Manager @ HubSpot
0 Upvotes
me2019
Participant

I'm sure I was using improper terminology when I wrote that post, haha. Good to know that the RSS feed is the best option. The person we hired to make the initial design used XML and the RSS feed but it appears that there is some hard coded styling we can't override (it sets the featured images at max-width:50%). Hence why we were trying to explore other options. 

0 Upvotes