APIs & Integrations

somdutt
Participant

How to create package in hubspot?

I want to create a package in hubspot which comprises of creating custom properties, workflows. A user can be provided with a link of package and whoever installs it will have all features of package available in his portal.

Is there a way to create such package in hubspot?

0 Upvotes
7 Replies 7
SSwantid

@jackcoldrick does Hubspot still not allow package creation similar to Salesforce? Just want to make sure nothing has changed in the past two years! 

Additionally, if I were to push metadata into an Target Org/Account, would I need to create an APP first so that the oAuth connection is established first from our Source App to Hubspot? 

For example would the data flow look like this? Or could we do away with the Hubspot Created App if we just want to push data to and from point (1) to point (3)

(1) Our Priopritory App <> (2) Hubspot Created App <> (3) Target Org (Customer Account)

CC'ing @somdutt since it seems like you went through this exercise.

0 Upvotes
jackcoldrick
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

@somdutt,

This type of setup would be possible. Ultimately what you'd need to do is create an application that authenticates using oAuth2.0. You can then use our "CRM Object Properties" API to create any custom properties you need and our "Workflows API" to create any workflows you require.

I hope this helps,

Jack

Jack Coldrick
Solutions Engineer @ HubSpot
Add me on LinkedIn
somdutt
Participant

@jackcoldrick 

Yes, I agree that it is one of the way to achieve what I am expecting. I was kind of looking for a package creation which I can publish and if there are any changes in package, then various versions can be published and user can benefit accordingly.

For ex. in Salesforce we can create a package with custom field, workflows that doesn't require authentication while installing.

0 Upvotes
jackcoldrick
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Hi @somdutt,

Thanks for getting back to me. That type of setup is something that wouldn't be possible with HubSpot. As the only way to set something like this up is with our APIs you would need to authenticate in some way. 

Regards,

Jack

Jack Coldrick
Add me on LinkedIn
0 Upvotes
somdutt
Participant

@jackcoldrick : Thanks for your response. I would like to know the difference between "creating subscription in an Oauth app which will notify to webhook url in case any customer's account (portal ID) satisfies the subscription criteria" vs "creating workflows using workflow api where I can have the same concept to send notification to webhook url".

Since, every user will be authenticated through Oauth app, plus I subscribe to some of the properties in the app itself, notification should come to webhook url for every customer's account. Then, why there is a need to create workflow using workflow APIs or UI in each customer's account, if any ?

0 Upvotes
jackcoldrick
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Hi @somdutt,

Thanks for getting back to me.

If I understand you correctly you are asking what the differences between using our Webhooks API vs using a webhook action within a workflow would be. If that is the case let me explain further. Ultimately both approaches will ensure data is POST from HubSpot to the endpoint of your choosing.

1) Payload Data

If you use the "Webhooks API" the payload will not contain the same level of data as if you were to use the "Webhook action in a workflow". The payload for a standard webhook implemented using the API would look something like this:

"objectId": 281751 //ID OF OBJECT
"propertyName": "email" //NAME PROPERTY
"propertyValue": "jackcoldrick@hubspot.com" //VALUE OF PROPERTY
"changeSource": "AUTOMATION_PLATFORM" //SOURCE OF CHANGE
"eventId": 3164844479  //UNIQUE ID OF EVENT
"subscriptionId": 213994 // WEBHOOK SUBSCRIPTION ID
"portalId": 2990812 // PORTAL ID
"appId": 204883 // ID OF THE APP
"occurredAt": 1578398232718 // TIMESTAMP CHANGE OCCURRED
"subscriptionType": "contact.propertyChange" //TYPE OF SUBSCRIPTION
"attemptNumber": 0 //ATTEMPT NUMBER X

In contrast if you choose to use the webhook action within a workflow you will receive a much more extensive payload - all of the data relating to the contact that was enrolled in the workflow. More information on the payload you would expect to see using this approach can be found here.

2) HubSpot Subscription

The Webhooks API is available to all HubSpot tiers. The Workflow webhook action is only available to our Enterprise tiers. More information on our APIs and the HubSpot tier required to access can be found here. 

3) Objects

The Webhooks API will allow you to subscribe to the creation, deletion and/or property updates occurring on Contacts, Companies and/or Deals. There is no support at present for Tickets. The webhook action in a workflow can be used for Contact, Company, Deal and Ticket based workflows. So there is more flexibility for Service Hub users that might need to avail of webhooks.

4) Properties

The Webhooks API is unable to subscribe to changes occurring for certain properties. These are listed below:

• Contact properties:
    • days_to_close
    • recent_conversion_event_name
    • recent_conversion_date
    • first_conversion_event_name
    • first_conversion_date
    • num_unique_conversion_events
    • num_conversion_events
  • Deal properties:
    • num_associated_contacts

However as a webhook triggered from a workflow will send all of the contact data it will include all properties with known values. So depending on what you are trying to do this can often be important to note.

5) Triggers

The Webhooks API simply lets you subscribe to any creation, deletion or updates to Contacts, Companies and Deals. It does not let you trigger webhooks based on more advanced behavior. The workflows tool we provide allows you to create a custom enrollment criteria that an object must meet before triggering the webhook. This could be anything from an activity being logged on a contact record, clicking a link in an email, viewing a particular page or a form being submitted.

I've done my best to give my take on the key differences. There may be other members in the community who wish to expand on what I've said. From my experience the above is the key differences/considerations. Ultimately the choice is up to you as to what method you want to use. 

I hope this helps.

Jack

Jack Coldrick
Add me on LinkedIn
somdutt
Participant

Thanks @jackcoldrick 

0 Upvotes