APIs & Integrations

spotthehub
Participant

How to associate custom object in bulk

SOLVE

Hi All,

Let's say I created a custom object for virtual events.  We created a virtual event record and then hosted the event where leads attended.  

After the event, we have a lead list with data about attendance.  How would we upload a csv that would associate the contact with the virtual event they attended?

I tried creating a temporary field that we could use in a workflow.  But the events object doesn't show any association fields. 

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
spotthehub
Solution
Participant

SOLVE

I actually figured it out through trial and error:

The following headers are required for an example import of associating contacts with a custom object called virtual events:

Contact ID

Email

Virtual Event ID

Virtual Event Date

Virtual Event Title

The reason these fields are used for importing is that they are the minimum required fields for creating a new record for each.  Other objects will have different fields that will be required and can be found by trying to manually create a new record for that object.

A single spreadsheet is prepared with those headers as a minimum.  Additional fields can be added, but it may be easier to import associations separate from new contact data. 

Directions:

• Import
  • Import file from computer
  • One file
  • Multiple Objects
  • Check off Contacts and Virtual Events (or other objects you wish to associate)
  • Choose the file
  • Check off both IDs as the records to update
  • Import the data

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
spotthehub
Solution
Participant

SOLVE

I actually figured it out through trial and error:

The following headers are required for an example import of associating contacts with a custom object called virtual events:

Contact ID

Email

Virtual Event ID

Virtual Event Date

Virtual Event Title

The reason these fields are used for importing is that they are the minimum required fields for creating a new record for each.  Other objects will have different fields that will be required and can be found by trying to manually create a new record for that object.

A single spreadsheet is prepared with those headers as a minimum.  Additional fields can be added, but it may be easier to import associations separate from new contact data. 

Directions:

• Import
  • Import file from computer
  • One file
  • Multiple Objects
  • Check off Contacts and Virtual Events (or other objects you wish to associate)
  • Choose the file
  • Check off both IDs as the records to update
  • Import the data
dennisedson
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

SOLVE

@spotthehub ,

Thanks for adding the solution (very clearly written at that) to the post!

0 Upvotes
dennisedson
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

SOLVE

Hey @spotthehub 

Thanks for the question!

@MatthewShepherd , @Bryantworks , @lynton -- how would you all approach this?

0 Upvotes