APIs & Integrations

JZhao
Participant

How does custom object look like?

SOLVE

I am interesting in custom object but I can't find any tutorial about it. How different between build-in objects (company, contact) and custom objects? Does the API endpoint same? Does the UI shows same for them? 

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
Phil_Vallender
Solution
Most Valuable Member | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Hi @JZhao 

I'm pleased to report that the UIs for custom objects are largely the same as for standard objects. You can view custom objects the same as you can view contacts, companies, or deals (they become available from the dropdown menue on the view screen) and the record layout looks the same with (from left to right) native properties, timelines, and associations. 

Custom objects are still considered an advanced tool, so making it too accessible is probably considered risky, but I dare say this will improve with time. Hopefully we'll even see an academy course on them eventually. 

Hope this helps.

Phil Vallender | HubSpot Website Agency

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
Phil_Vallender
Solution

SOLVE

Hi @JZhao 

I'm pleased to report that the UIs for custom objects are largely the same as for standard objects. You can view custom objects the same as you can view contacts, companies, or deals (they become available from the dropdown menue on the view screen) and the record layout looks the same with (from left to right) native properties, timelines, and associations. 

Custom objects are still considered an advanced tool, so making it too accessible is probably considered risky, but I dare say this will improve with time. Hopefully we'll even see an academy course on them eventually. 

Hope this helps.

JZhao
Participant

SOLVE

Can I create a customer object via UI not api endpoint?

Also after create a customer object, can I call api endpoint to update its properties, data etc?

0 Upvotes
Phil_Vallender

SOLVE

Currently you can not create custom objects via the UI, only the API - this relates to the advanced feature point. 

Once created, a custom object's properties can be updated in the UI and, I'm pretty sure, by API.

JZhao
Participant

SOLVE

Hi @Phil_Vallender ,

Thanks for your reply. 

What do you mean exactly about "Custom objects are still considered and advanced tool, so making it too accessible is probably considered risky"? Is there any limitation to use custom object in production? or do you have any conerns?

0 Upvotes
Phil_Vallender

SOLVE

Custom objects are powerful, and the power can lead to trouble. Customisation is one of the main reasons I find Salesforce/Dyanmics users are in trouble - tied to their systems and unable to improve processes - so they need to be used with care and caution, not wild abandon. 

Custom objects are ok for use in production but do have limits - i.e. they are not as fully integrated with HubSpot's lists, workflows, and other features as the standard objects are. Always test before betting on something to work.