APIs & Integrations

SMondal2
Participant

How can we update a form submission that has been submitted through the Hubspot Forms API?

SOLVE

Hello Hubspot Devs,

As part of our website sign up process, we have created a Hubspot form to capture customer information, which mirrors our website form. And we use Hubspot Submit Form Data API to submit customer data to Hubspot upon registration.

However, some data might be updated later on the website after a customer has already registered. Please advise on how to update the customer information on the website. Is it possible to update a contact using the Contacts API? Or can you recommend another API we could use?

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
Teun
Solution
Recognized Expert | Diamond Partner

How can we update a form submission that has been submitted through the Hubspot Forms API?

SOLVE

Hi @SMondal2 ,

Yes, you can update users through the Contacts API, but I would advise you to look at the new docs.

You need the contact ID. You can get it by using this API to search for a contact with the UTK (which is set in a cookie) or you can use the search endpoint in the Contacts API to search for a contact by its email.
But if you want to update the subscription preferences, make sure to take a look at this API as well.

Learn more about HubSpot by following me on LinkedIn or YouTube

Did my answer solve your issue? Help the community by marking it as the solution.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
SMondal2
Participant

SOLVE

Thank you so much, Teun. 

0 Upvotes
Teun
Solution

SOLVE

Hi @SMondal2 ,

Yes, you can update users through the Contacts API, but I would advise you to look at the new docs.

You need the contact ID. You can get it by using this API to search for a contact with the UTK (which is set in a cookie) or you can use the search endpoint in the Contacts API to search for a contact by its email.
But if you want to update the subscription preferences, make sure to take a look at this API as well.

Did my answer solve your issue? Help the community by marking it as the solution.

VCheung
Contributor

SOLVE

Hi Teun,

Hope you are well

We have a similar situation but we would actually like to update the already submitted form within Hubspot if possible.

We have created an "internal" form with Hubspot for our research team which can also be used for clients to update company information and custom fields but not all information can be captured at once most of the time. I know not really the best solution for an inbound methodology.

We would like to be able to "re-open" or update an already submited form when we gather the additional information within the same form.

The reason why would would like this is for retaining a fully completed form for our qualifiying criteria requirments in one form.

I don't think exporting this data directly from the company properties is a viable option as we require historical data for a specific completed form.

example: We need turnover for three years for qualifiying criteria purposes and everytime a form gets submitted we "lose" that historical data field which needs to be aligned with the specific form submission for that year.

Essentially our weighting criteria to qualify requires three years of fully completed form data from Hubspot.

I hope this makes sense and looking forward to your assistance.

Vernon

Teun

SOLVE

Hi @SMondal2 ,

If the user can update its data through other forms, you could simply use the 'Submit Form Data API' and send those forms to HubSpot as well. The e-mail address will function as the unique identifier in this case, and if the user already exists in HubSpot, his / her properties will be updated. HubSpot will also place the hutk cookie, which will be used to identify the user as well.
You can update a user through the Contacts API as well, but this is only needed if the 'submit form data API is not a good fit for your usecase.

0 Upvotes
SMondal2
Participant

SOLVE

Thanks Teun for a prompt response.
Initially, we must update fresh users through a form submission API ('Submit Form Data API' ). But Users might change some details in the future, such as the subscription types, and we need to update them for the specific user in Hubspot.

I just wanted to confirm that, Can we add users in Hubspot through `submit form data API`, and update their contact information by using `Contacts API`? We require the use of both APIs.

0 Upvotes