APIs & Integrations

KaraBarnes
Participant

How can i perform this calculation?

Hi

I'm not a developer!

I need to calculate an accurate revenue figure for our deals, and to do so it doesn't seem like I can use line items/products because of various constraints.

So i've created a custom object to meet our needs and have setup a workflow to export edits to the custom objects to a Google Sheet and perform the necessary calculation in the Sheet. 

To build reports in HubSpot I need to return the calculation result from the Sheet to the custom object in HubSpot. Zapier can't work for custom objects. Is there any way I can do this?

Since I'm not a developer I've struggled to build a calculator without the help of a spreadsheet.

Thanks

0 Upvotes
5 Replies 5
KaraBarnes
Participant

Thanks Dennis! 😄

Hi @miljkovicmisa - thanks for the info! So for us Operations Hub wouldn't be on the cards - this is too niche of a project to justify the spend. If I had lots of other requirements it might work but this is really the only challenge.

I've used integromat, it is good! It's just that my problem is using the API itself to code a solution. I'm a complete novice when it comes to development, and whilst I can ask around on my end, I thought I'd see if you guys can help with this part or point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

0 Upvotes
miljkovicmisa
Top Contributor | Platinum Partner
Top Contributor | Platinum Partner

Hello @KaraBarnes , 👋 @dennisedson , this seems like the perfect case for HubSpot Operations Hub which allows the use of custom code inside the workflow, so ideally all the transformations would take place in a single workflow. So the next level thing that gets rid of all the integrations is Operations Hub (Professional).
Other than that, I would also recommend using Integromat, I have used it before and is pretty easy to use and ha a ton of features, also it can perform API calls to HubSpot so it can do all sorts of things that the API provides.

Resources:
HubSpot Operations Hub Info link 
Integromat website 

If my answer was helpful please mark it as a solution.

dennisedson
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

@Kevin-C may be just the guy for the job here! 

@Kevin-C can you help our friend, @KaraBarnes , who is dipping their toes in the development waters 😉

@KaraBarnes , careful, development is kind of addictive!

0 Upvotes
KaraBarnes
Participant

Hey Dennis 

Thanks for the reply and recommendation! Haha yeah I have a feeling I'll be going down this path a lot more in 2022. 

So since posting I've managed to come up with a workaround that's working OK, but I'd love to clean it up. 

The full process I now have is

• User creates or updates custom object
  • Workflow adds custom object data to Google sheet as new row
  • Google sheet performs calculation with various formulas
  • Zapier triggers when new row is added
  • Zapier creates or updates line item with the custom object info and results of the Google sheet calculation (using custom object ID as a connector) 
  • Zapier also makes sure the line item is associated with the deal (the user has to input the Deal ID into the custom object in order for this to work)

Ideally I'd love to scrap the Google sheet and Zapier altogether and simply have this process

• User adds or updates custom object 
  • API triggers whenever this occurs and calculates necessary info from custom object data
  • API patches custom object record with the calculation results

But unfortunately I have no idea how to do that ha.

Let me know if I can share anything else.

Thanks!

dennisedson
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

@KaraBarnes looks like you have a strong start.  To get rid of google sheets and zapier, you are going to have to start really getting your hands dirty.

@miljkovicmisa , how would you take this to the next level.

0 Upvotes