APIs & Integrations

Shijen
Miembro

How can I use timeline event value in workflow email

resolver

Hi:

The app number of my account is 207905, timeline event id is 395312.

I try to create the timeline event type, and can use it in workflow, to start a email send action to contact which fulfill the timeline event value in the contact.

Then, I want the email be send to have value which I specific in that timeline event, which seems need to be done by contact properties, as it will not show timeline event value in email create interface.

So, it seems I need to link the timeline event value to certain contact property.
I do this action by Hubspot default contact property, for ex., twitterhandle, and can get success, the contact property value can be update by timeline event value, and I can use the value in workflow email.

Then, I try to do this by contact custom property, as the default property may not so meaningful for my specific case, then I found the contact custom property never update success by timeline event.
I can't see my custom contact property in the "Contact property mapping" dropdown box when edit the timeline event property, and when I try to add it as the description say I can add it manually, it can be added, but when send my timeline event, to check the related value in contact, it is still empty.

Is this caused by lack some specific sequence I need to do? if yes, please help to give me some example to make it work.

I also found some old link ask the same question on this fourm, which is long time before.
https://community.hubspot.com/t5/APIs-Integrations/Create-Workflow-Email-for-Timeline-events/td-p/23...
https://community.hubspot.com/t5/APIs-Integrations/Mapping-app-custom-properties-to-contact-properti...

2 Soluciones aceptadas
IsaacTakushi
Solución
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

resolver

Hi, @Shijen.

Apologies for the delayed response.

To clarify, are you having trouble stamping the inviteCase field's value to the custom contact property "invitorName" in account 6826674?

If so, you are encountering this issue because the "invitorName" property has the internal name invitorname but you have tried to map your app to a property with the internal name invitorName here.

Since there is no capital "N" in your custom contact property's internal name, this mapping fails. See the attached screenshot.

Use internal name of custom property.jpg

Please let me know if this resolves your issue.

Isaac Takushi

Associate Certification Manager

Ver la solución en mensaje original publicado

0 Me gusta
IsaacTakushi
Solución
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

resolver

Hey, @Shijen.

Glad to hear it!

You can find the internal name of any property in SettingsPropertiesFilter by: [Contact/Company/Deal/Ticket] properties[Property Label]</>. See the screen recording below.

Internal_Property_Name.gif

Also, you can find the internal names of any contact property in an account by using the Get all contact properties endpoint. The other CRM objects — companies, deals, and tickets — have similar endpoints.

Isaac Takushi

Ver la solución en mensaje original publicado

0 Me gusta
8 Respuestas 8
vbrech
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

resolver
Just noticed this info on the docs: "Note: To ensure compatibility with all accounts, you can only stamp to standard properties which will always be available in all accounts" (https://developers.hubspot.com/docs/methods/timeline/timeline-overview ). So it seems indeed you cannot stamp a custom property unfortunately.
Shijen
Miembro

resolver

>So it seems indeed you cannot stamp a custom property unfortunately

Yes, I also see the description before, so is it confirmed by HubSpot that this is not a support feature (to use timeline event to update contact custom property, then use the  property in workflow email)?

0 Me gusta
vbrech
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

resolver

Hi, this issue came up in our team yesterday. It turns out the documentation appears to be not up to date. We are working on updating this piece of documentation.

So this is bringing us full circle to your original post.

What you are trying to do should be possible. You wouldn't be able to select your custom property in the dropdown field in your developer account UI, but you can just type in the internal name of the property, and it should get mapped to a corresponding property in the target portal I think.

If you continue to observe the problem, could you post the JSON body of your request to this endpoint (https://developers.hubspot.com/docs/methods/timeline/create-or-update-event ) and the response you get? Please also provide the portal ID (Hub ID) of your test portal (the one that contains the contact your are posting the event to). Thank you!

0 Me gusta
Shijen
Miembro

resolver

Don't know why but my reply got disappear after reload the page, so add the content by image.

hubspot.png

0 Me gusta
IsaacTakushi
Solución
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

resolver

Hi, @Shijen.

Apologies for the delayed response.

To clarify, are you having trouble stamping the inviteCase field's value to the custom contact property "invitorName" in account 6826674?

If so, you are encountering this issue because the "invitorName" property has the internal name invitorname but you have tried to map your app to a property with the internal name invitorName here.

Since there is no capital "N" in your custom contact property's internal name, this mapping fails. See the attached screenshot.

Use internal name of custom property.jpg

Please let me know if this resolves your issue.

Isaac Takushi

0 Me gusta
Shijen
Miembro

resolver

Hi:

Thanks, it works now.

So the point is, the custom property need to use the internal name, but I can't find a place to tell me what is the internal name of which custom property, can you tell me where can I find it?

Thanks

0 Me gusta
IsaacTakushi
Solución
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

resolver

Hey, @Shijen.

Glad to hear it!

You can find the internal name of any property in SettingsPropertiesFilter by: [Contact/Company/Deal/Ticket] properties[Property Label]</>. See the screen recording below.

Internal_Property_Name.gif

Also, you can find the internal names of any contact property in an account by using the Get all contact properties endpoint. The other CRM objects — companies, deals, and tickets — have similar endpoints.

Isaac Takushi

0 Me gusta
vbrech
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

resolver

Hi, can you clarify how exactly you add the mapping?

Usually you'd pass along a "objectProperty" parameter with this endpoint https://developers.hubspot.com/docs/methods/timeline/create-timeline-event-type-property (or this one https://developers.hubspot.com/docs/methods/timeline/udpate-timeline-event-type-property ). Be sure to use the internal name of the property.

If it still doesn't work, maybe you can add this section of your payload so we can see the mapping you are trying to create.