APIs & Integrations

BenGC

Help with Identify function

We have a custom product registration form and are trying to use the Identify function to link up data that has been tracked by the tracking pixel with a contact we create with the contacts API.

The flow is as follows:

• User enters our website and browses some pages [activity tracked by hubspot pixel]
  • User completes our custom product registration form [we create contact through the Contacts API]
  • User is redirected to the product homepage [we call the Identify function]

The contact is getting created but doesn't show any of the page view data from prior to them completing the registration form.

I was under the impression that using Identify would allow hubspot to tie the tracked page view data to the new contact.  Have I misunderstood how this is supposed to work?

0 Upvotes
1 Reply 1
WendyGoh
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Help with Identify function

Hey @BenGC,

Thank you for sharing such a detailed use case. 

I believe you're just one step to seeing the magic! The reason why you are not seeing the previous page view is because the identify function only stores the data in the tracker however the data isn't actually passed to HubSpot. As stated on this documentation - Identify a visitor

As such, you would need to use either the  trackPageView or trackEvent functions) to pass the data.

I hope this helps to shed some lights and do let me know if there's anything you'd like further clarification on. 

0 Upvotes