APIs & Integrations

MichaelDev
Contributor | Diamond Partner

Help identifying the user who triggered a webhook

SOLVE

I'm writing an app for our company that will take action based on the user who triggered a webhook.

For example, I'd like to subscribe to "Deal property changes" and take certain actions based on the user who made that property change.

I don't see how I can tell which user made that change from the webhook payload. Is that information available somewhere else that I could lookup?

Thanks!

1 Accepted solution
dennisedson
Solution
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

SOLVE

Hey @MichaelDev 

I do not think what you are wanting exists at then moment.  You can make a suggestion here.

I do believe what you are asking is a great idea and you are clearly not alone. 

Also, apologies for not getting back to you sooner!

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
MichaelDev

SOLVE

Hi @dennisedson Do you happen to have an update on this topic? If this isn't something that exists now, how can I suggest this as a feature? It'd really help us integrate our workflow with HS more, since we'll be able to rely on HS for processing tasks instead of building another interface.

0 Upvotes
dennisedson
Solution
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

SOLVE

Hey @MichaelDev 

I do not think what you are wanting exists at then moment.  You can make a suggestion here.

I do believe what you are asking is a great idea and you are clearly not alone. 

Also, apologies for not getting back to you sooner!

DanBromley
Participant

SOLVE

I would also like to know how to do this. 

For changes which originate in hubspot we need 'who made the change' recorded in the external system which is triggered by the webhook, for auditing purposes, and the hubspot webhook payload does not include the hubspot username/id. 

0 Upvotes
MichaelDev

SOLVE

Hi @dennisedson Thanks for the replies! 

I understand what you're saying about getting the event and making a request to get the deal details but finding out how owns the deal wouldn't be helpful for this task.

I need is the user who was making the deal change. This way, I could "credit" them based on their activity. It's important that I know who is doing the activity, rather than who owns the deal itself.

That type of information would be really helpful in the webhook event payload. You'd get to see what changed and who made the change.

I think another developer is looking for this as well and posted about it in the community here: https://community.hubspot.com/t5/APIs-Integrations/How-to-identify-which-user-has-triggered-a-webhoo...

dennisedson
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

SOLVE

Hello again @MichaelDev !

You should be getting the ID of  the object that is changing

If you go to the webhooks docs and do a search for "Webhooks payloads", you can see an example and then below that are the definitions of the fields.

Once you get the deal ID, you can query the CRM Deals API and search for the deal by id.  That will contain the Deal Owner property. 

I am not sure if this is the path that you are thinking about, but hopefully gets you started!

0 Upvotes