APIs & Integrations

DashThisDev
Contributor

HTTP API Events Do Not Appear Contact Timeline

Hi,

I am trying to trigger events using the HTTP API, but I can't see these events in the contact timeline. We do observe that these events are approved in the Reports > Analytics > Events section, but their count remains to 0.

Thanks in advance,
Samuel Cabral Cruz

0 Upvotes
5 Replies 5
WendyGoh
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Hi @DashThisDev,

I created a testing event (hstest31) on your portal 55xxx and trigger the event using the HubSpot Events HTTP API and on my testing contact, I'm able to see the events.

In this case, can you check if:

#1 In the contact record, under te filter activity, is 'Analytics events' checked?

check.png

#2 If you’re filtering any IP addresses in your Reports settings? If you’re testing from one of those filtered IPs, then your tests would also be filtered out (since events get processed through same system that process other traffic logged by the tracking code)

0 Upvotes
DashThisDev
Contributor

Hi @WendyGoh,

Thanks for your quick answer. I did try with your test contact and it does work.

However, I still do not understand why I can't do the same with my personal test user samuel+cabralcruz@dashthis.com. Does HubSpot is detecting the @dashthis.com domain and filter out the triggered event?

Also, I clean up the list of filtered IPs, but can we expect our IP address to remain whitelisted in the future or HubSpot might blacklist it over and over again?

We intend to use this API via our back-end servers, hence we can't afford to lost event in the process. We initially went for the Event HTTP API because it was simple and the lack of support of client credential protocol from the OAuth Timeline API.

Thanks again,

Samuel Cabral Cruz

0 Upvotes
WendyGoh
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Hi @DashThisDev.

When looking at your contact samuel+cabralcruz@dashthis.com, I'm seeing that there are analytics activity:

analytics_activity.png

Are these the event you triggered? To your second question, HubSpot wouldn't automatically blacklist IP addresses. 

0 Upvotes
DashThisDev
Contributor

Hi @WendyGoh,

No, these events are triggered using the tracking code via the usage of the application. Hence, they are triggered using the JavaScript API, not the bare HTTP one. 

What I am trying to achieve is to trigger an event using the HTTP API with Postman on that specific user. 

I would be surprised if the solution to my problem was to scroll down the page.

GET https://track.hubspot.com/v1/event?_n=test event name&_a=55XXXXX&email=samuel+cabralcruz@dashthis.com

Best regards,

Samuel Cabral Cruz

0 Upvotes
WendyGoh
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Hi @DashThisDev,

Gotcha! Figured out the issue here!

The + character is a reserved character in the url, which means that you would need to encode the character before passing it to the HubSpot Events HTTP API.

I was able to see the 'test event creation' logged on contact samuel+cabralcruz@dashthis.com when using the following

https://track.hubspot.com/v1/event?_n={{eventId}}&_a={{portalId}}&email=samuel%2Bcabralcruz@dashthis.com

Hope this helps and let me know of any further questions!

0 Upvotes