APIs & Integrations

APRDataInt

HTTP 500 when sending webhook

Hi, I have an app that is supposed to send a webhook to a Flowgear workflow when a deal is created. I see that the webhook tries to send but it's getting an HTTP 500 error and I don't know why. When I copy the URL and data into Restlet Client for chrome, it works... just not from Hubspot. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

0 Upvotes
5 Replies 5
Derek_Gervais
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

Hey @APRDataInt ,

Just to clarify, you're using the Webhooks API to send notificaitons to an external service (Flowgear?) and that service is returning 500 errors? I'm happy to take a closer look if you want to send your developer account Hub ID, but if the external service is returning 500 errors, you'll likely need to troubleshoot why the requests are failing with that service.

0 Upvotes
APRDataInt

Hi @Derek_Gervais ,

Thanks for your help, yes I am using the Webhooks API to send notifications to Flowgear and I'm getting HTTP 500 errors as shown in the image below. I also tried contacting help at Flowgear and this is what they told me, "sometimes the web hooks are sent over two stages, intercom as an example first sends a HEAD and then on confirmation it does the POST. The first step would be to make 100% sure how hubspot does this. My advice would be to use a platform like webhook.site to inspect the nature of the web request. Webhook.site will tell you over what HTTP methods the Webhook has been sent." I'm not exactly sure how hubspot is sending the webhooks but flowgear accepts a post from something like chrome's extension Restlet Client with no issue. My developer account number is 6247697 if that helps. Thanks again for your helpAnnotation 2019-09-03 091707.png

0 Upvotes
Derek_Gervais
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

Hey @APRDataInt ,

HubSpot doesn't send HEAD and wait for confirmation, we only send the POST request. I personally use https://requestinspector.com/ when testing our webhooks; if they need an example of what it looks like, you can create an inspector at that link, send a test webhook to it, and then give them the link or copy the data and send it to them.

Since the test webhook functionality is identical to actual HubSpot webhook notifications, you can also send test webhooks to them directly if they need. While there's not much more investigation I can do on the HubSpot side, let me know if you have any other questions/clarifications on this!

0 Upvotes
APRDataInt

Hi again,

I got it to ALMOST work. The problem seemed to be that Flowgear does not accept JSON arrays. I was able to implement a way to handle it but now another problem ontop is that the content-type that Hubspot sends in the header is set to "application/json" but I need it to be "text/plain" any idea if there is a way to change this on the Hubspot side? If not I'll have to find a different way to handle it.
Thanks you!

0 Upvotes
Derek_Gervais
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

Hey @APRDataInt ,

Glad you were able to figure out some intial challenges! Unfortunately HubSpot webhook request headers are not customizable, and the Content-type will always be application/json.

0 Upvotes