APIs & Integrations

aaberni
Participant

Get recently modified customers based on subset of attributes

SOLVE

Hello, 

I am using the recently_updated contacts endpoint to obtain a day-to-day delta dataset in order to sync HS with our datawarehouse. Unfortunately it seems that updates to any attribute elects a contact to be considered "recently modified" by HS.

For example just today I was expecting to find only a handful of recently updated customers but I actually received thousands, because today a newsletter was sent and that changed the lastmodifieddate attribute of the contacts. 

I'd like to fetch only those customers that were updated in any one of a small subset of attributes, which are the attributes our business considers for reports and downstream logics. 

Is there any way to do this?

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
KyleParker
Solution
Contributor

SOLVE

@aaberni We encountered a similar issue when trying to retrieve the daily deltas from HubSpot. The lastmodifieddate property is updated when any property in HubSpot changes and since there are over 200, that's a frequent update cycle.

To get around this limitation of the property we created an enrollment and re-enrollment workflow on a subset of 30-40 properties that would accurately identify an updated record (a handful of custom properties along with name, email, phone, createddate, etc). That workflow sets a custom property (contact_info_changed_date) and our process uses the Search API to retrieve any records where that property is GTE the last run date.

Not sure if that would help in your situation, but so far it's been working well for us.

One thing to note, if you want the "time" portion on the property, you have to create it using the API. If you create the custom property through the HubSpot website, it will only allow you to create a "date" value, without the time.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
aaberni
Participant

SOLVE

Hi KyleParker, 

sorry for the delay. That's actually a pretty good idea and I think it could really solve my issue.

Thank you very much!

dennisedson
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

SOLVE

@aaberni, I would look into employing webhooks where you can subscribe to specific property changes.

0 Upvotes
aaberni
Participant

SOLVE

hi dennis,

I am aware of the hubspot webhooks but that would imply an event-driven process where I subscribe to each one of the required attributes.

I'm integrating this process in a spark batch data flow so it would not be the best solution for me.. 

I'm likely going to look into webhooks anyway, since there seem to be no other way to do it. 

Thank you very much

KyleParker
Solution
Contributor

SOLVE

@aaberni We encountered a similar issue when trying to retrieve the daily deltas from HubSpot. The lastmodifieddate property is updated when any property in HubSpot changes and since there are over 200, that's a frequent update cycle.

To get around this limitation of the property we created an enrollment and re-enrollment workflow on a subset of 30-40 properties that would accurately identify an updated record (a handful of custom properties along with name, email, phone, createddate, etc). That workflow sets a custom property (contact_info_changed_date) and our process uses the Search API to retrieve any records where that property is GTE the last run date.

Not sure if that would help in your situation, but so far it's been working well for us.

One thing to note, if you want the "time" portion on the property, you have to create it using the API. If you create the custom property through the HubSpot website, it will only allow you to create a "date" value, without the time.