APIs & Integrations

TianaS

Forms & Timeline APIs - Automatic contact creation behavior

SOLVE

Hi all,

I was wondering something about the Forms API and Timeline APIs. Both allow you to send data with just the "utk", but I can't seem to find whether if no Contact exists with the "utk`" if it will create an empty one if just the "utk" is sent along (no other form of possible identification such as email address).

Anyone that can confirm the behavior in these cases? Thanks in advance!

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
cathalhopper
Solution
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hi @TianaS , hope all is good with you 🙂 

You can indeed create contacts without the email address via the submit form data API provided you have the setting Allow form submissions without email addresses to create contacts turned on in your portal - I tested this in my portal 🙂

You can send across data with or without the hutk then, although I highly recommend including at least the hutk, if not also the email, as you can get the contact vid using either the usertoken or email 

Regarding the timeline API - the API timeline documentation  clears up that we can't create a net new contact with a hutk, so you will want to create the contact first and ensure that the utk is associated with that contact - it's better to use the email or vid here instead!

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
2 Replies 2
cathalhopper
Solution
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hi @TianaS , hope all is good with you 🙂 

You can indeed create contacts without the email address via the submit form data API provided you have the setting Allow form submissions without email addresses to create contacts turned on in your portal - I tested this in my portal 🙂

You can send across data with or without the hutk then, although I highly recommend including at least the hutk, if not also the email, as you can get the contact vid using either the usertoken or email 

Regarding the timeline API - the API timeline documentation  clears up that we can't create a net new contact with a hutk, so you will want to create the contact first and ensure that the utk is associated with that contact - it's better to use the email or vid here instead!

0 Upvotes
TianaS

SOLVE

Thank you so much for your help @cathalhopper!! This is perfect, everything I needed to know! 😄