APIs & Integrations

CFR
Participant

Forms API to track contacts login

SOLVE

Hi everyone,

I was just on a chat with a customer service rep and she recommended I ask this question here.

How would you recommend I track contacts logging into our platform? We use Wordpress for the main website and have a web app on app.example.com. The 'Login' form is identical with the 'Create an account' form (we send an authentication code to create an account).

I was planning to use the Forms API and simply track the submissions to that form but I am aware that there is a 1000 submissions limit and apparently once you have reached the 1000+ one, form submissions will be dropped with no error which is not ideal.
We don't have the budget to upgrade to Enterprise so events tracking are not an option, unfortunately.

Can you guys point me in the right direction? Should I just use the Forms API and worry about the limit later? Is there another, more long term solution?

Thanks

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
jackcoldrick
Solution
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hi @CFR,

You could consider using our Timeline API to create your own unique events on a contact timeline. You can create one anytime someone logs in. The cool thing about this is that you can segment based on the completion of these events as well as enroll in workflows. I recorded a video on using the Timeline API which I've shared with several customers in the past. Please feel free to check it out: 

Also this API is available for use by free CRM users up to Enterprise. You can check out all of our APIs and the tiers required to use them here: 

I hope this helps!

Jack

Jack Coldrick
Solutions Engineer @ HubSpot
Add me on LinkedIn

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
jackcoldrick
Solution
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hi @CFR,

You could consider using our Timeline API to create your own unique events on a contact timeline. You can create one anytime someone logs in. The cool thing about this is that you can segment based on the completion of these events as well as enroll in workflows. I recorded a video on using the Timeline API which I've shared with several customers in the past. Please feel free to check it out: 

Also this API is available for use by free CRM users up to Enterprise. You can check out all of our APIs and the tiers required to use them here: 

I hope this helps!

Jack

Jack Coldrick
Add me on LinkedIn
MStoll

SOLVE

@jackcoldrick  - can these timeline events also be leveraged in lead scoring? I don't see anything in the list today but at the end of your vidyard video when you are using to build a list it looks like your created ones are now showing up.

We have a use case of wanting to have a field that just gets +1 every time a user logs in, which unfortunately I don't think we can do via scoring. Could we use the timeline events API to, in addition to logging an event, add +1 to a field value?

0 Upvotes
CFR
Participant

SOLVE

Hi @jackcoldrick ,

That is exactly what I was after. Thank you for putting together that detailed video. I'll share it with the team and I'm sure they'll be off to a great start.

I can't find any Timeline API specific limits; am I right in thinking that the Burst: 100/10 seconds and Daily: 500,000 listed here apply? We are on the Marketing Professional tier.

Thank you

0 Upvotes
jackcoldrick
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hi @CFR ,

Glad it helped! With the regards the limits - the Timeline API requires you to use OAuth for authenticating requests. Integrations using OAuth are only subject to the limit of 100 requests per 10 seconds.  In other words you don't need to worry about the daily limit and only need to ensure you adhere to the burst limit. 

Regards,

JAck

Jack Coldrick
Add me on LinkedIn
0 Upvotes
CFR
Participant

SOLVE

Amazing. Thanks for confirming @jackcoldrick