APIs & Integrations

avmatos

Force property update with same value

SOLVE

Is it possible to "force" a contact property update with same value?

If I get it right HubSpot will not update a property value on a form submission (or API call) when the value doesn't change.

Although it's an understandable behavior in some scenarios it can be a bit tricky to get the right information from HubSpot.

For instance : we sent a survey form to a custumer asking about the quality of the service (from 1 to 10), the customer choses "10" and submits the form. On the customer's timeline we can see that the form was submitted and that the score was "10". A couple of months later we ask the same question to the same customer and the customer also choses "10" when submitting the form. In this case on the customer's timeline we can see the new form submission but with no property update as if the customer hadn't chose the score "10". The timeline in this case can be misleading and it's not possible to analyse the data correctly because we can't actually know what the customer submitted, only what was changed by the form.

If someone can help me with this issue it will be much appreciated.

0 Upvotes
2 Accepted solutions
WendyGoh
Solution
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hey @avmatos,

Thanks for sharing your use case!

Based on your write up, I understand that you're looking to utilize HubSpot form like a survey form. In this case, I'd like to shed some light that the intended use of HubSpot form is to allow users to gather important information about visitors and contacts i.e. interest on a particular e-book offer.

When looking to conduct customer satisfaction surveys, perhaps you may want to explore HubSpot feedback surveys feature: Create and conduct customer satisfaction surveys.

If that's not something that your team would like to explore on and you'd like to continue using HubSpot form, the next best workaround is to clone the first survey form and clone the custom property so that it doesn't overwrite. 

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
WendyGoh
Solution
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hey @avmatos,

Ah! That sounds like a feasible workaround if your team doesn't need to track the first survey respond rating. You can definitely use the clear a property value action on your workflow to clear the existing property values. 

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
5 Replies 5
WendyGoh
Solution
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hey @avmatos,

Thanks for sharing your use case!

Based on your write up, I understand that you're looking to utilize HubSpot form like a survey form. In this case, I'd like to shed some light that the intended use of HubSpot form is to allow users to gather important information about visitors and contacts i.e. interest on a particular e-book offer.

When looking to conduct customer satisfaction surveys, perhaps you may want to explore HubSpot feedback surveys feature: Create and conduct customer satisfaction surveys.

If that's not something that your team would like to explore on and you'd like to continue using HubSpot form, the next best workaround is to clone the first survey form and clone the custom property so that it doesn't overwrite. 

0 Upvotes
avmatos

SOLVE

Thanks for your reply 🙂

Yes the feedback survey was considered but the forms would give us somme additional advantages.

We're considering to add a "reset" step on the workflow that sends the surveys in order to clear the values of the properties used in the form. This should allow us to get property values and form submissions synchronized.

0 Upvotes
WendyGoh
Solution
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hey @avmatos,

Ah! That sounds like a feasible workaround if your team doesn't need to track the first survey respond rating. You can definitely use the clear a property value action on your workflow to clear the existing property values. 

0 Upvotes
avmatos

SOLVE

Thanks again for your reply!

Let me share some more info on our use case:

We do need to track the history of survey answers for all customers but we're not using HubSpot to analyse the survey data. We use your API to extract the data from HubSpot and with the property versions we can identify the values associated with a given survey wave. The data is then merged with other customer related data from internal systems (sensitive information that we do not expose on HubSpot) and the final results are shared using different dashboards depending on the line of business and hierarchie level of the user (we send thousands of surveys every week using the same set of forms, for 15 different line of business in the company)

0 Upvotes
WendyGoh
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hey @avmatos,

Thanks for sharing such a detailed use case! If you're tracking property changes and retrieveing the data using the property version, then perhaps clearing the property value via workflow would be more suitable for your team. Rather than creating another custom property.

0 Upvotes