APIs & Integrations

AlightAnalytics

Email Events Discrepancies between API and UI results

Our client has noticed differences between the data that we provide via the Email Events API and their Hubspot UI access. The differences show up in `Sent`, `Delivered`, `Opened/Unique Open`, `Clicked/Unique Click` and `Bounce/Soft & Hard Bounce` fields. (the double name shows the UI vs API categories that we're comparing).

The descrepancies also range from 10-58% in difference.

Please let me know what additional information that I can provide to help with this case. If you send me a private message, I can provide the document with details.

0 Upvotes
8 Replies 8
Derek_Gervais
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

Hey @AlightAnalytics ,

When you're pulling email event data, are you paying attention to the `filteredEvent` field that  appears on User Engagement Events? This field is a boolean representing whether the event has been filtered out of reporting based on customer reports settings; namely, the bot filtering settings as described in the following Knowledge Base article: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/articles/kcs_article/reports/exclude-traffic-from-your-site-analytics

For more details on this field as it appears in the Email Events API, check out the overview doc:

https://developers.hubspot.com/docs/methods/email/email_events_overview

0 Upvotes
AlightAnalytics

@Derek_Gervais,

Noticed that the `filteredEvent` field was indeed periodically not empty or None. When I asked my client about filters, this is what thier response was:

Response from the client:
I can confirm that [our client] IS currently using the following filters in their reporting:
- BOT filtering is turned ON
- They are filtering out some IP addresses (I'm assuming these are their own IP domains of their building and other locations)

However, I can't turn these off. First off, this isn't my account (it's the clients) and I don't have the admin rights to do that. Second, even if I did have the authority, turning those filters off could impact all their HubSpot reporting. The filters are in place for a reason.

Can we work this problem the other way -- i.e. apply the same filtering in the API so that whatever is being filtered out in the UI reporting is also being filtered out in the API pull?

0 Upvotes
Derek_Gervais
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

Hey @AlightAnalytics ,

I wasnt't totally clear before; you're spot on that you'll want to leave that setting on, and instead filter the results from the JSON you're pulling. The Email Events API doesn't currently support filtering these out from the response, so instead you'll want to discard any events for which `filteredEvent` is true.

Let me know if you have any other questions related to this issue!

0 Upvotes
AlightAnalytics

If I filter out results where "filteredEvent" is true, would that just return a lower amout of results from the API? In the discrepancies, sometimes the API values are lower and sometimes the UI values are lower.

Below is an example comparison table that my client made to show the discrepancy between the API results and the UI results between four of their campaigns.

hubspot sample.PNG

0 Upvotes
Derek_Gervais
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

Hey @AlightAnalytics ,

Can you send me the Hub ID of this customer's account, and (ideally) the email campaigns that document is referencing? I'd like to take a closer look and see what might be going on. If you'd prefer to send these details over direct message, feel free to do so.

0 Upvotes
AlightAnalytics

@Derek_Gervais,

I've sent you a PM, but on my side it still says 'unread'. Did I send it to the wrong place?

Did you receive it?

0 Upvotes
AlightAnalytics

@Derek_Gervais, I will PM you with the details.

0 Upvotes
AlightAnalytics

Thank you for your response. I have noticed that 'filteredEvent' field is sometimes something other than `None` but it's rarely `True` as I would expect in a boolean-type category. There is often some numerical integer when it's not `None`.

I will check with my client and see if they unfilter these events, the issue will be resolved.

0 Upvotes