APIs & Integrations

rsinha

Email Events API not returning full list of events

I am seeing instances where the email events API is showing opens that are not shown in the hubspot UI.

Example:

Portal ID: 4267165

VID: 142702

Email Campaign ID: 71752521

I am seeing 62 opens from the /email/public/v1/events API but I am seeing 0 in the UI. I am guessing the UI is correct, but would like to know what I need to do in order to filter out the bad data from the API.

7 Replies 7
lscanlan
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

Hi @rsinha,

I actually am not seeing 0 opens on the contact record timeline, but I am seeing an inconsistencty that doesn't look right, so I'm going to dig into this a little more. Could you let me know where you're seeing 0 opens?

When I make a request to the Email Events API, here's the request URL: email/public/v1/events?campaignId=71752521&recipient=emailaddresshere=1000 . I'm also seeing the 62 opens. But here's that contact record timeline: https://app.hubspot.com/contacts/4267165/contact/142702/. I just want to double check that that's where you're looking. If you find the email, are you actually seeing 0 opens? Again, I'm not sure yet why there's a discrepency, but I am seeing 30 opens and then the 2 clicks.

If you're still seeing 0 opens there, let me know. That might help with my troubleshooting. In the meantime I'll see if I can understand why there's a difference here.

Leland Scanlan

HubSpot Developer Support
0 Upvotes
rsinha

@lscanlan - any updates?

0 Upvotes
lscanlan
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

Hi @rsinha,

I can't think of any reason that those numbers wouldn't line up. I'm not sure which is correct, or if some of the events are being filtered out from the UI for some reason I'm not aware of. So not much of an update for you yet, but I am having it looked at. Hopefully I'll have something more concrete for you soon.

Leland Scanlan

0 Upvotes
rsinha

@lscanlan any update yet?

0 Upvotes
lscanlan
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

Hi @rsinha,

I don't have an update yet for you unfortunately. I'll post back here with an update as soon as I have more. I'll push on the urgency though since I understand these metrics are important to you.

Leland Scanlan

0 Upvotes
lscanlan
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

Hi @rsinha,

I just wanted to follow up with this one. The events data from the API are accurate. We've made a change to the timeline UI to more accurately reflect that. For your example contact, you'll see now that open events are displayed as 30+ instead of just 30, to indicate that there are more events there. This mirrors the email performance page as well. Let me know if you have any other questions about this.

Leland Scanlan

0 Upvotes
rsinha

You are correct the UI shows 30 opens. But this isn't the only contact that this is happening for. I am guessing there is a message in a queue which is getting re-processed over and over again causing records to be inserted for this event.

0 Upvotes