APIs & Integrations

AbdelMOULIDA
Contributor

Do not modify existing contacts in the sales pipeline

SOLVE

Hello,

Currently, I am testing HubSpot Operations Hub.

My problem is that every time an existing contact on HubSpot submits a new form it automatically updates that data on HubSpot.

We want to stop this process for contacts that are already attached to a deal, contacts that are already in the sales pipeline, that means: if a contact in the sales pipeline submits a new form > do not modify the data of the latter.

Is it feasible with Python or JS, to add a script in a workflow to stop these modifications?

Thank you !!

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
jpsanchez
Solution
Contributor | Elite Partner

SOLVE

Hi,  😉

Great, question by the way! . And a difficult one 😉

Ok, IF i try to literal answer your question, the answer is complicate it. Within my knowladge, you can´t do this with hubspot or with any API.  My rational on this. If the contact is in hubspot, hubspot Cookie identify the contact and the Contact ( person) push the send botton in the HubSpot Form. The REQUEST to CREATE/UPDATE is send and there is nothing you can do to delay or pause this in order to do an IF and TRIGGER what ever you want before RECORD The data. 

But i have another answer and it´s not the litteral one;

• IF your GOAL is to not update CONTACT properties if the contact is already in a DEAL. 
  • I take this assumptions: 
    • The Contact Properties you already know before ENROLLING to DEALS is not need to modify or change. 
    • That means you already know the properties and you don´t want any change. 

IF this is right, you can just modify the FORM to an SMART FORM. that means Hubspot will not request any property from your form if is ALREADY KNOWN. So for example let´s say that your full FORM will have 15 properties. ( including email). IF you ACTIVATE SMART FORM, one Contact that will return to the form and you already have all properties will only see ONE PROPERTIE. normally the email propertie and also if you wish you can POPULATE THE EMAIL IN THE FORM. 

IF one CONTACT is in the form and there is not data from him or just part of the properties known. This CONTACT will only See the Properties UNKOWN in hubspot. 

I´m not sure if this will work for you, tehorically it´s a potential solution for your problem.

Please let me know your feedback and if we can itterate it in order to fix your problem.

Best.

JP

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6
jpsanchez
Solution

SOLVE

Hi,  😉

Great, question by the way! . And a difficult one 😉

Ok, IF i try to literal answer your question, the answer is complicate it. Within my knowladge, you can´t do this with hubspot or with any API.  My rational on this. If the contact is in hubspot, hubspot Cookie identify the contact and the Contact ( person) push the send botton in the HubSpot Form. The REQUEST to CREATE/UPDATE is send and there is nothing you can do to delay or pause this in order to do an IF and TRIGGER what ever you want before RECORD The data. 

But i have another answer and it´s not the litteral one;

• IF your GOAL is to not update CONTACT properties if the contact is already in a DEAL. 
  • I take this assumptions: 
    • The Contact Properties you already know before ENROLLING to DEALS is not need to modify or change. 
    • That means you already know the properties and you don´t want any change. 

IF this is right, you can just modify the FORM to an SMART FORM. that means Hubspot will not request any property from your form if is ALREADY KNOWN. So for example let´s say that your full FORM will have 15 properties. ( including email). IF you ACTIVATE SMART FORM, one Contact that will return to the form and you already have all properties will only see ONE PROPERTIE. normally the email propertie and also if you wish you can POPULATE THE EMAIL IN THE FORM. 

IF one CONTACT is in the form and there is not data from him or just part of the properties known. This CONTACT will only See the Properties UNKOWN in hubspot. 

I´m not sure if this will work for you, tehorically it´s a potential solution for your problem.

Please let me know your feedback and if we can itterate it in order to fix your problem.

Best.

JP

AbdelMOULIDA
Contributor

SOLVE

Hello @jpsanchez ,

Thank you for your feedback.

Effectively, I haven't found a way to do this with the API.
It works well if you put rules like you showed me in your feedback, at least for my case.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Abdelilah

0 Upvotes
RomanKozak

SOLVE

Hey @AbdelMOULIDA,

It's an interesting question. Happy to ponder possible answers. 
Could you please tell us what type of form you currently use? Is it a custom form with the use of Form API?

AbdelMOULIDA
Contributor

SOLVE

Hello @RomanKozak ,

Thank you for your feedback 🙂, We use standard forms, we create the forms through the path: Marketing > Lead Capture > Forms > Create a form.

Thank you!

Abdelilah

0 Upvotes
Jaycee_Lewis
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi, @AbdelMOULIDA 👋 Thanks for the interesting question. I don't have anything documented on my end as the expected behavior is to update upon submission. Let's see if our amazing community has any insight for you — hey @JBeatty @jpsanchez @DanielSanchez @RomanGruit, do you have any insight or experience solving this type of challenge?

Thank you very much! — Jaycee

linkedin

Jaycee Lewis

Developer Community Manager

Community | HubSpot

0 Upvotes
AbdelMOULIDA
Contributor

SOLVE

Hello @Jaycee_Lewis , thank you for your feedback.

Hello guys @JBeatty , @jpsanchez , @DanielSanchez@RomanGruit .

Do you have any information on how to do this?

Thank you!

0 Upvotes