APIs & Integrations

kjavan05

Custom API Event Tracking

SOLVE

I am in Marketing Operations at a startup and am falling short from a technical perspective to solve a problem that our team is having, so I wanted to ping the community to hopefully find a solution!

Our problem: we have a trial signup flow on our marketing site and I have been having difficulty setting up tracking for new signups. From an attribution perspective, I am trying to create a contact in Hubspot once they click to signup and record the original source and conversion information on the record. Currently, our flow is as such: Prospect clicks sign up button -> Connects using their g-suite or o365 credentials (soon will be just via email and a series of additional informational questions) -> gets access to product -> product sends information to Stripe to create customer record -> Stripe syncs with Salesforce -> Salesforce syncs with Hubspot (very lengthy I know!). Since we don't have the event tracking at point of conversion working, Hubspot is recording these signups as coming from Salesforce, which is obviously breaking our attribution.

At a previous company, I had worked with engineering on solving this issue with an API call workaround, but I can't remember the details. I am hoping this community can point me in the right direction!

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
IsaacTakushi
Solution
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hi, @kjavan05.

Happy to help.

We generally recommend using the Forms API to create contacts in HubSpot whenever web analytics or attribution information is crucial.

This endpoint, for instance, accepts a context object in which you can include the hubspotutk cookie value in the hutk field. Assuming the HubSpot tracking code is installed on your website, the contact will be attributed according to their referrer and tracking parameters.

You mentioned that "[you] don't have the event tracking at point of conversion working." Are you referring to some setup already involving HubSpot APIs, or are you starting from scratch?

Isaac Takushi

Associate Certification Manager

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
1 Reply 1
IsaacTakushi
Solution
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hi, @kjavan05.

Happy to help.

We generally recommend using the Forms API to create contacts in HubSpot whenever web analytics or attribution information is crucial.

This endpoint, for instance, accepts a context object in which you can include the hubspotutk cookie value in the hutk field. Assuming the HubSpot tracking code is installed on your website, the contact will be attributed according to their referrer and tracking parameters.

You mentioned that "[you] don't have the event tracking at point of conversion working." Are you referring to some setup already involving HubSpot APIs, or are you starting from scratch?

Isaac Takushi

Associate Certification Manager
0 Upvotes