APIs & Integrations

JustinDowty
Participant | Diamond Partner

Creating Custom Object schema from OAuth App

SOLVE

I am building an app integration that will make use of a new Custom Object Schema for portals that install and use the app. From the documentation it seems I should be able to create custom object schemas with OAuth credentials. I have the necessary scopes included for the integration. Using the same object schema I also am able to add this new custom object definition when using an API Key, but not with OAuth. Using OAuth I get this message: 

'The scope needed for this API call isn\'t available for public use. If you have questions, contact support or post in our developer forum.'

This message seems to imply that you cannot create a Custom Object Schema from an app with OAuth, however the documentation here https://developers.hubspot.com/docs/api/crm/crm-custom-objects shows OAuth being supported and requiring the crm.objects.custom.write scope (which I have that scope with the integration).

Is there something I am missing here? I was under the impression we would be able to create custom object schemas to work with our apps.

2 Accepted solutions
JustinDowty
Solution

SOLVE

I have reached out to another Hubspot team member and got my answer. At this time the creation of custom object schema from an app integration is not supported.

View solution in original post

zach_threadint
Solution
Top Contributor

SOLVE

Hi @JustinDowty 👋

Just in case this is still relevant and/or someone else stumbles across this post.

More information about working with HubSpot Custom Object API endpoints where authentication method is OAuth can be found here: https://developers.hubspot.com/docs/api/custom-objects-schema-pilot

I hope this proves useful. Please let me know if you have any follow-up questions.

All the best,

Zach

--

Zach Klein
HubSpot Integrations & App Developer
Meanjin / Brisbane, Australia

Say g'day

If my post helped answer your query, please consider marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
8 Replies 8
AKatukuri
Participant

SOLVE

is this still the case? Can't we create the custom object schema via the oAuth public app? Can we only do this in the private app?

0 Upvotes
JustinDowty
Solution

SOLVE

I have reached out to another Hubspot team member and got my answer. At this time the creation of custom object schema from an app integration is not supported.

zach_threadint
Solution
Top Contributor

SOLVE

Hi @JustinDowty 👋

Just in case this is still relevant and/or someone else stumbles across this post.

More information about working with HubSpot Custom Object API endpoints where authentication method is OAuth can be found here: https://developers.hubspot.com/docs/api/custom-objects-schema-pilot

I hope this proves useful. Please let me know if you have any follow-up questions.

All the best,

Zach

--

Zach Klein

Say g'day

0 Upvotes
GPaglia
Member | Diamond Partner
Member | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Hi @zach_threadint 
So if I create an app (not to be included in the marketplace) from the developer account, where I have to create custom objects, do I have to make a request?

0 Upvotes
zach_threadint
Top Contributor

SOLVE

Hi @GPaglia 👋

As per HubSpot documentation, if it's intended for a single HubSpot portal/account, the current advice is to use Private App authentication to manage your Custom Objects (and/or via web UI).

If you're intending to use Public App authentication (whether the app be listed or unlisted) across multiple HubSpot portals/accounts, I'd recommend making the request.

All the best,

Zach

--

Zach Klein

Say g'day

AKatukuri
Participant

SOLVE

Thanks for the reply, I found out we might need to apply and get required scopes to create new custom object schema from HubSpot.

Jaycee_Lewis
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Thank you, @zach_threadint for taking the time to come back and update this post 🙌 — Jaycee

linkedin

Jaycee Lewis

Developer Community Manager

Community | HubSpot

sharonlicari
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hey @JustinDowty 

Thank you for sharing this information and some context. I'll invite to this conversation a few experts that can share their thoughts with you.

Hey @quentin_lamamy @lynton what would you advise in this case?

Thanks

Sharon 

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !